Picnics

"Can I open my eyes now?" Kurapika asked.

"No," Leorio responded. "I have a surprise for you that you are not allowed to see." He had a good hold on Kurapika's arm and was walking slowly with him.

"I don't know if you could surprise me any more than you did for my birthday."

"I'm not trying to top that. We both need a break from work, so we're here to relax."

"I wonder where 'here' is."

"Nowhere special. I just hope you have a good time."

"So when can I look?"

"Right...about...now!"

Kurapika opened his eyes and smiled. He and his husband were standing on top of a hill. At the bottom of the hill, there was a field of sunflowers. Kurapika and Leorio seemed to be the only ones there. From where they were standing to all the way down.

Kurapika turned to Leorio. "What are we doing here," he asked.

Leorio held up a basket. "Picnic," he said. "I thought you might enjoy it."

"How did I not notice that you made a picnic basket?"

"Must've looked like I was making lunch."

"This is lunch."

Leorio smiled. "You're right, it is," he said. "Do you want to eat here or at the bottom of the hill?"

Kurapika glanced down the hill. "I want to go down," he said. With that, he crouched onto the ground and rolled down the hill. As he began to roll, he laughed. Leorio smiled. It made him happy too, seeing his husband so happy.

"Come on," Kurapika yelled, now at the bottom of the hill. "Don't be so slow!"

"I'm not rolling down the hill," Leorio responded. "I'm just going to walk."

Soon enough, Leorio was at the bottom of the hill with Kurapika. He laid down a blanket and sat next to him. "There's grass in your hair," he said. He reached up and picked some of the grass out of Kurapika's hair. "You'll need to wash it when we get home."

"No, I won't," Kurapika said. "I'll be fine."

"What if there's bugs in your hair? Gnats, worms, ladybugs, spiders-"

"Shut up." Kurapika laughed. "Fine, I'll wash it when we get home. Let's just eat now. What did you pack?"

Leorio opened the basket. "Sandwiches, chips, wine, strawberries, and some dessert."

"What's for dessert?"

"Churros."

"Is the wine still cold? And the strawberries? What if they got warm?"

"Don't worry. They're still cold." With that said, he pulled out the wine bottle and two wine glasses.

Kurapika laughed. "Isn't it a bit too early for wine," he asked. "Especially in a wine glass."

 Leorio shrugged, "It's just adult grape juice."

Kurapika laughed again and took a glass. He took a sip and set it down on the blanket. "What sandwich did you make me," he asked. "I'm hungry!"

"Stop whining," Leorio responded. "Get the sandwich yourself, it has your name on it." He reached into the basket and pulled out a bag of chips while Kurapika got a sandwich.

While eating, Kurapika looked around. From where they were sitting he could see nothing but sunflowers and a pond. It was beautiful. He had always loved nature, especially since he grew up in the middle of a forest.

"You look beautiful," Leorio said. "That look in your eyes."

Kurapika blushed. "Thank you," he said. "I could say the same for you."

Leorio smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too."