-Graveyards-

Modern teenager AU, I guess? (but taking place before/without covid aka 2019)

Also, I recently watched Fear Street so this is semi-based but ofc not completely. About 10%, so no horror. Just a split community.

CW: Implications of abuse, smoking

It was cold that night. Kurapika had been dated to go to a graveyard at a party. No one came with him but at least he had a jacket.

It was a stupid dare. There wasn't a lot to it. Most of the thrill was that the graveyard sat right between two towns. The towns were on the same lot of land but of course, people felt the need to separate them. The town that Kurapika lived in was deemed "the good side", which it was. The houses all seemed to be manors, the people were successful, and of course, the crime rate was zero. The Other Side wasn't quite as good. The living arrangements were all closed in, low-income housing. The people had jobs but not great or successful ones. The worst part was the crime rates. Fights, break-ins, robberies, mugging, and the occasional murder. That was the dare: get really close to the Other Side and don't get hurt.

"This is stupid," he muttered. "I should just go back to the party. No one would even know if I actually came here or not." He chuckled.

It was a nice thought but he wasn't the one to chicken out on a dare. He planned to bring something back as proof. Maybe a stone or a flower.

Kurapika walked over to a bench and sat to catch his breath. The walk to the graveyard was sort of long. Enough to tire a tipsy teenage boy out. He sat for a little bit but perked up when he heard a noise. It sounded like someone yelling.

Kurapika stood and walked in the direction of the yelling. Someone was yelling at a grave, in a different language. They were kicking a grave and stomping on it. Kurapika couldn't see their face.

"Excuse me," Kurapika said. The person turned to look at Kurapika then ran in the opposite direction. Kurapika felt no need to chase after them, he wasn't a police officer. After all, he had broken in too.

Kurapika walked forward. He squatted by the grave and read the words.
Pietro Vasquez
Born December 06, 2003
Died October 23, 2019

He died recently, just last month. He was the same age as Kurapika. The dirt was kicked up over the grave and the grave had a few cracks. Whoever had just been there must have really hated this kid.

As Kurapika stood, he noticed something on the ground. An ID card from a school. Lineville High. A person from the Other Side. The name was Leorio Paladiknight. Kurapika could return it in the morning. Until then, this would be good enough evidence that he actually went to the graveyard.

Kurapika opened the door to the house. The music was still playing loudly as ever. Baise looked over. "Hey, guys," she yelled. "Kurapika's back!"

Some of Kurapika's best friends ran over. Baise, Melody, Basho, Squala, and Eliza.

"What's that in your hand," Melody asked.

Kurapika smiled. "Let's go up to Baise's room," he said. "I'll tell y'all then."

They all ran upstairs to Baise's room. Kurapika, Melody, and Baise sat on the bed. Everyone else crowded around in beanbag chairs.

"So, what is it," Baise asked.

Kurapika smiled and flashed the card towards them. "It's an ID card," he said. "Of a boy from the Other Side."

Eliza grabbed the card. "Hm," she said. "This doesn't look like the cards my brother used at school when we lived in Lineville."