Chapter 87

Much later the same day, Soranto approached the window and yelled for them. Looking at each other for a moment, then both of them ran over to the small window in the corner of the office.

"Soranto is everything okay?"

"I have word something went on in the southern part of the forest."

"What happened?" Ralvania asked.

"An elf named Norbert was killed. It could have been something dark, but I'm not sure."

"Thank you dragon," Maggie replied. He nodded and then walked off to his cave.

Backing up slowly as the color drained from her face. Maggie looked at her.

"What's wrong?"

"The scream I heard in the forest, it could have been that poor elf screaming for help."

"You don't know that for sure," Maggie told her as the two sat back down.

"If I hadn't been afraid, maybe I could have saved him." She said with a look of guilt.

"Or gotten yourself killed in the process."

"Maybe, but I didn't even try to help him."

Leaning forward she looked at the young one.

"You must understand even though you try, you can't always save everyone."

Nodding slowly, she didn't like it but understood.

"Besides we don't know evil was involved, it could have been a tragic accident."

"What if it keeps happening?"

"Then we'll do whatever we can. It's been a long time since anyone's been killed in the forest." Maggie told her.

"Until today." She replied.