Chapter 28

The following afternoon, Maggie had been going over her spell book, she had made a page for those she'd lost, first the emperor and now Katella, too. She hated to see anyone die so young, but when fate had plans, you couldn't stop it. It had been awful, heartbreaking but we must go on.

There were ways to bring people back for a short time, but it was messy and highly complex. There was always a chance it may back-fire. She knew how to do it, but if it went wrong, the result could trap or deteriorate the soul of the dead. It wasn't worth the risk. One more conversation would be wonderful, but not at the expense of her soul.

Maggie knew better than to even be thinking it. Closing the spell book, then getting up she stretched for a long moment. Then she sensed someone was coming, but couldn't tell who just yet. Waiting another ten minutes, and breathing a sigh of relief.

 Listening intently, she could hear the sound of wings flapping in the distance, not just any wings- but dragon wings.

Maggie darted out of the room and down through the main hall. She had nearly forgotten that Ralvania would be back home from the fairy realm today. She felt like an enchanted idiot - possibly a magickal moron for nearly forgetting about it. Quickly making it out the front door of the castle in time to watch Soranto lower his altitude and come in for a soft gentle landing.