Chapter 39

~Iman’s P.O.V~

  My heart was filled with sadness, Auntie Sana was leaving today and it honestly felt like the worst thing. Although she only spent a week with us, she had grown into this important part of our lives and I couldn’t imagine my day without.

  At first I was really trying to be polite and trying my best to be a good host, not really treating her like family but now I think of her more than just another relative we have. Yes, she had a different way of wording her feelings, a way that I considered rude and annoying at times even though I felt bad about my thoughts, but I knew she always meant well.

  “I can’t believe this is the last breakfast I’ll have with you kids.” Auntie Sana sighed sadly when I placed the last plate on the table. We had decided to eat breakfast in the back yard since auntie loved it so much.

  “I can’t believe you are leaving Auntie. I got so used to having you here. I’m going to miss you.” I pouted.

  “I’m going to miss you too, Iman,” She patted my knee when I sat next to her, “I’m going to miss all of you kids.”  

  “What, you are not going to miss me?” Uncle Adam faked a frown making us all chuckle at his reaction.

  “Of course I will. Drama queen.” Auntie rolled her eyes.

  “I put all the gifts in the green bag so you won’t have to flip everything over when you go back home.” Yasmin chuckled taking a seat next to her mother.

  Auntie Sana wrapped one arm around Yasmin once she sat down then kissed her cheek softly, “Thank you sweat heart.”

  Watching the way Auntie Sana talked to Yasmin during breakfast both warmed my heart and made me sad all at the same time. She kept wrapping her arm around her shoulder whenever they talked, and in every chance she got she kissed her cheek or head. It was obvious that Auntie didn’t want to leave but I guess she had to go back to the rest of her family back home.

  “It’s almost 8A.M Sana.” Uncle Adam said after we all finished eating.

  “Okay, let’s go then.” Auntie Sana sighed getting up.

  “I’ll go put the bags in the car.” Ayman said walking a bit faster than Auntie Sana and Yasmin who were holding each other’s hands as they headed to the living room.

  “Jo, go help Ayman.” Youssef nodded then went after Ayman, once we were all at the door Uncle Adam stopped then looked at us, “C’mon girls, say goodbye.”

  Auntie Sana turned to hug her daughter in the tightest hug she could manage, “I can’t believe I’m going back home without you. The house is going to be awfully lonely.”

  “You have dad and Ibrahim,” Yasmin rubbed her mom’s back as she spoke, “And before you know it, I’ll be back home with you.”

  “In sha’ allah, I miss you already and I’m not even on the plan back home yet.” Auntie Chuckled then gave Yasmin another quick hug.

  “I’ll call you everyday mom.” Yasmin promised.

  “Yes you will,” Auntie smiled sadly squeezing Yasmin’s hand then she let it go to look at me, “Iman; my sweet, bright, beautiful Iman. I’m so happy I got to know you. Ali would have been super proud of you, baby. The way you take care of your brothers, making this house strong and united.”

  My Aunt’s words made my heart sink in my chest as I remembered my father. And the fact that she looked so much like him didn’t help me pull it together making me feel a small lump gathering in my throat as she continued talking, “You grow up to be a lovely woman, Iman. You dedicated your life for your brothers that you totally forgot yourself and I know Allah has a man for you who will make you his queen.”