Thankfully, I was saved by Mazen’s phone ringing. He quickly picked it up excusing himself into the kitchen area.

  Looking ahead of me, I noticed Auntie Sana, Ayman and Uncle Adam were engaged in a conversation that took all of their attention while Yasmin was typing away on her phone paying no attention to everyone in the room. 

  I didn’t even notice they started talking amount themselves as their voices were mere whispers which wasn’t like them but maybe they didn’t want Mazen involved in whatever they were saying.

  “Sana, I just remembered you have never seen my flower collection in the back yard, right?” Auntie Lea Said out of nowhere in a loud voice. Yasmin snapped her head up to look at everyone in the room then quickly got up and walked to the backyard. That was odd.

   Ayman gave Yasmin a weird look as did Uncle Adam but the Aunties didn’t seem to have noticed her action as they continued their conversation, “You have a flower collection? That’s lovely.”

  “Yeah, it’s beautiful if I may say so myself. Let’s all go check it out.” Uncle Adam stood up first helping Auntie Lea to stand on her feet as Ayman and auntie Sana waited for them.

  “Iman, why don’t you offer Mazen some of your famous chocolate cake? I have some left from yesterday.” Auntie Lea smiled as they all started heading to the backyard. Why did they all need to go see those flowers for?

  “Um, sure.” I mumbled with a polite smile feeling awkward with this situation. They all went to the backyard leaving me alone with Mazen which was weird considering Ayman never agreed on me talking to any strange man alone, so why was he suddenly okay with this?

  Walking to the kitchen, I noticed Mazen walking slowly back and forth as he talked in his phone. His voice was low which was good because I would hate to eavesdrop on him, that would be very rude.

  Walking to the fridge, I got out the plate with the chocolate cake and unwrapped it cutting it into a medium sized pieces before putting it in a clean plate. I then quickly decided to pour him some tea along with the cake and put everything in a tray before going back to the living area noticing that Mazen had finished his call and was setting alone.

  “That was my sister checking on me.” He said out of nowhere.

  “That’s sweet of her,” I smiled a polite smile placing the tray on the table I front of him. We sat there in awkward silence for a few seconds before I decided to talk again, “They all went to the backyard to see Auntie Lea’s Flower collection if you want to join them.”

  “It’s okay. This cake looks delicious. Is this your famous chocolate cake that Khala Sana always talks about?” He asked with a wide smile on his face as he took his plate and tasted a small piece of the cake.

  “Yeah,” I replied with a shy smile. Something about being complimented makes me uncomfortable but in a giddy way.

  “It’s really good. You are an excellent cook.” He moaned taking yet another bit of the cake, a bigger one this time as he seemed to be enjoying it.

  “Thank you. I’m glad you liked it.” I smiled feeling a little blush coming to my cheeks as I felt a slight heat radiating.

  “I can’t even imagine going back to my mom’s cake after eating this delicious one.” He chuckled finishing the last bite of the cake making me smile shyly as well.

  “I’m sure your mom makes delicious cake as well.” I replied with the obvious polite thing to say.

  “She likes to think she makes the best food, but between you and I, she doesn’t.” He whispered the last part in a cheeky way, “Don’t tell her that or she’ll kill me.” He chuckled lightly.

  “Don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me.” I grinned at how he was acting. It was weird seeing Mazen like this. Cracking jokes and being cheeky rather than his reserved personality in work but it made me feel a bit more relaxed with him for some reason.

  “Phew, I was worried there for a second.” He pretended to whip his forehead with the back of his hand making me giggle.

  As my giggling died down, I noticed Mazen’s smile while looking at me. I think he didn’t realize that he was gazing at me until I cleared my throat as the silence between us became a little weird. He quickly averted his gaze and put two spoons of sugar in his cup before taking a sip.

  Smiling to myself, I looked down immediately so I wouldn’t be caught smiling at him as well. I thought it was really sweet that he was smiling like that. It wasn’t one of those weird flirty smiles, it was something else that I couldn’t translate fully but it made me feel a little giddy nonetheless.

  “I can’t believe Khala is leaving tomorrow, I became used to having her around.” Mazen broke the silence between us.

  “Yeah, me too. I hope she visits us again.” I replied with a smile. Although Auntie Sana was sometimes annoying and had the rudest of comments I do love her and I’m going to mess her a lot.

  “The book club discussion will be weird without her hilarious comments though.” Mazen chuckled to himself making me smile remembering how he and Auntie Sana seemed to be having the time of their lives in the discussion.

  “But at least you are coming to work again which is a good thing,” He smiled sweetly at me, “Holly is so bored now that she only have me in the shop with her. She keeps telling me she wishes you were there and that I’m no fun to be around.” He chuckled.

  “Well, I’m coming back to the rescue tomorrow.” I smiled slyly.

  “Thank god for that. Now I can enjoy a nice quiet time in the backroom doing my work in peace.” He smirked.

  “I know it’s none of my business but I’ve always wondered, what kind of work you do in that backroom. If you don’t mind me asking, of course.” I tried my best to sound polite while feeding my own curiosity. I knew that it was rude to ask but I always wanted to know and he was in such a good mood I just had to ask.

  Mazen raised one eyebrow at me, giving me a straight face that made me blush so hard out of embarrassment. It was like I hit a sensitive subject or I was out of line, “You don’t have to tell me..sorry.” I mumbled feeling embarrassed that I even asked.

  Hearing Mazen burst out laughing made me raise my eyes to look at him, “Oh god, I was just pulling your leg. Of course it’s okay to ask.” He laughed wholeheartedly, “I organize an online campaign for my father’s charity. Donations for Syria.” He said once he finally stopped laughing.

  “Wow, that’s great. I never knew that.” I smiled still a little embarrassed that he fooled me like that but I felt more admiration towards him now.

  The door to the back garden open and in walked Auntie Sana followed by everyone else, “What’s so funny?”

  ----

  The night continued on with everyone talking and laughing for a while before Holly and Mazen excused themselves saying it was getting late. Shortly after that we left as well, with Uncle Adam promising us he would visit tomorrow before work to say goodbye to Auntie Sana. 

  The dinner was nothing like I had expected it to be, but it went on smoothly alhamdul’allah. I was worried of how awkward it would have been having my boss meeting my family and all, but it turned out great. They all loved him and strangely enough I don’t just see Mazen as my boss any more.

  But hopefully that won’t be a bad thing.

  ***
A/N
Hey guys.
I'm officially donee!!! Wooohooo!
Im currebtly packing to go to my midyear trip to luxour and aswan in like 3 hours lol.
gonna take loads of pics and upload them to ky instagram: @Simply_Marwaa
i have a couple of other updates ready in my drafts so no worries :D