Mouse - Lifeguard Trials

Y/N's POV:

It's my first day at work today as a lifeguard at Bondi Beach. It has always been my lifetime dream to lifeguard here. I first started out by getting my GCSE's and my A-Levels and while I was doing my A-Levels I was down at the swimming pool practising my skills and practising all of the stuff I have to do to earn my lifeguard award. After I did my A-Levels I took a first aid course and a CPR course so I had a higher chance of getting the qualification. I loved working down at the public swimming pool but if I wanted to be a lifeguard at Bondi then I would have to work at a beach to get closer to working there. After getting that and working there for 3 years I moved all the way down to Bondi 2 weeks before the lifeguard trials.

3 days after moving down to Bondi I have managed to unpack all of my stuff and have also managed to fill out the form for the lifeguard trials. I need to train extra hard if I want to get that fulltime lifeguard position here. I woke up at 5.30 am on Monday (the day after) and got dressed in a swimsuit and put my running leggings on. I got out of the house by 5.45 am and decided to run to the beach only because I lived a block away. I got to the beach at 6 am to see the sunrise so I then put my stuff down and ran up and down the beach 3 times both ways. I managed to do that in less than 20 minutes so I then went over the swimming pool and swam 800m in less than 13 and a half minutes. I also timed that and I managed to do it in less than 10 minutes.

I kept training every day until the trials. I managed to get my time for the running down to less than 15 minutes and my swimming down to less than 8 minutes. I knew I would be able to get through this by beating all of the other lifeguards because I know that they all have to do it to prove that they are all still fit enough to continue to lifeguard at Bondi. I also know that they can't swim 800m in less than 8 minutes. Also a few days this week I nearly ran into a rescue board by the same person carrying it every day when they set up. 

The day of the lifeguard challenge I began panicking because I don't know if I can do it because I don't know if I am good enough. 

I got to the pool 5 minutes before the lifeguard trials are meant to begin which meant I have no time to practice but I have been practising all week so I don't think that I will need to practice. 5 minutes later the trials were about to start. "Ok, everyone. You have to manage to swim 800m in less than 13.30 minutes. If you go out of that time zone you won't be able to participate in the next lot of trials. Good luck. First group. Ready. Set. Go" Hoppo said. I was lucky that I was in the last group. I ha time to prepare myself and I had time to calm down. By the time I calmed my self down the first group finished. I decided to talk to some other people because I haven't made any friends yet. I walk up to someone who has black hair and say "Hi. I'm Y/N"

"Hi. I'm Michael but my friends call me Mouse." Mouse says.

"Nice to meet you"

"You been living here in Bondi long?"

"No actually. I moved here from England 2 weeks ago and all I have been doing is training for this. Being a lifeguard here has been my life long dream." I see that the second group are halfway through completing the task.

"Wow. I thought that I heard an English accent in your voice. So you in the last group?"

"If by the last group the third one then yep. I need to get ready so here is my number and we can text later if I make it through this part." I hand him my phone number and then move to my lane. I am confident that I can do this now because I know Mouse is a lifeguard because I spent most of my time when I was younger watching Bondi Rescue. That was the reason I wanted to become a lifeguard in the first place. When the whistle blew for my group I dived in and immediately started swimming. I was coming up to my last lap when I felt confident that I beat my own record. As I finished I looked up to see a shocked face of Hoppo's face. "What? What is my time?"

"7 and a half minutes. No one on the lifeguarding service can do that. They are all over the 9-minute mark." Hoppo said in a state of shock. I smiled at myself knowing full well that I had will have this job. After everyone finished hoppo took us down to the beach when we did the water stuff. I managed to beat all of the current lifeguards even the fastest swimmer on the team. I probably impressed all of the lifeguards even Hoppo. 

Mouse's POV:

I got out of the pool after doing the 800m and looked to see that Hoppo was in a state of shock with Y/N already out of the water. I looked to see all of my other co-workers looking at Y/N and at Hoppo with their mouths wide open. "What has happened?" I ask

"S...Sh..She beat us all doing 800m." Harries said

"What was her time?" 

"I don't know. Hoppo has been in such a state of shock for a minute or so now. He hasn't said a word to anyone." As he said that Hoppo started walking over to us. 

"She managed to do it in 7.30 minutes." He said still shocked. We all were shocked that we couldn't talk at that point in time

We all went down to the beach and then did the water trials. Harries and Deano were shocked to see that Y/N was sat down soaking wet on the sand and was breathing normally. I walked up to her and sat down next to her. "Hello again"

"Hi. You alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine but how are you not tired. Everyone else here is. Even the other lifeguards."

"I finished 2 minutes ago. I calmed myself down after I finished so I just sat down and relaxed. I thought you all were faster in the water as well as in the pool with all of the Iron man challenges you have done."

"I didn't think that you were going to be that fast." I look up to see Hoppo motioning her up to see him. I look to see that Y/N is going over to Hoppo.

Y/N's POV:

I get up and walk over to Hoppo after my convo with Mouse. "You wanted to see me."

"It says on your application form that you used to work as a lifeguard in England. Were you really that fast in England as well?"

Yep. I am only a little bit faster because I trained for over a week for this. It has been my life long dream to work here and I have worked my way up to work here."

"Do you want to come over to my office so we can talk a bit more about this?"

"Yeah sure. But let me just go grab my stuff. I left it down by Mouse." As I walk away I hear Hoppo say that if you don't get a call from him within the next week then you won't have gotten the job.

-----1 hour later-----

I walk out of Hoppo's office with a big grin on my face. I got a full-time position and I start in 2 days. I am really excited and I can't wait to start. I also can't wait to see Mouse again when I start work. I might have a small crush on him already.

---

131cf4881e6c85d159b332bbb5e1d131I'm serializing this work on Webnovel. Head over to Webnovel for the other chapter updates! https://www.webnovel.com