Chapter 28

I sighed, putting my car in park as I looked over at Maddie's house. I was excited for the party and that wasn't normal for me at all.

Parties weren't my thing because I always went alone and never socialized. I was nodding my head to the Neon Trees song that was playing, watching as Maddie made her way over to my car.

My jaw dropped slightly, her beauty taking me away. Her curly, blonde hair was up in a pony tail, her blue eyes sparkling in the moonlight. 

"Hey, Bren. Sorry, I was telling Mya that I was going out with you tonight. I didn't get to tell her earlier since she was out with her boyfriend." I chuckled, grabbing her hand as I looked into her eyes.

"That's fine. It's always nice to be fashionably late." Maddie laughed as I pulled off and drove away. The car ride was silent, but it wasn't awkward.

Occasionally, one of us would start singing to whatever song was playing. Whenever I sung, Maddie would continuously tell me that I had a good voice, but I thought otherwise.

My mother always made me sing in front of my family and while I found joy in it, I never really thought my voice was that good.

I turned down the last remaining block, Maddie's eyes widening as she looked at my boss' house. "He lives here? Life must be a dream for him."

I chuckled, driving past the gates and into the driveway. "Tell me about it. At least he's not an asshole of a boss. I mean, if I lived in a house like this, I would be bragging all of the time."

Maddie giggled, looking around his property. As I pulled up to the front door, I saw her. I clenched my jaw as I looked at her skimpy jeans and loose shirt. 

Of course, she was coming here. I told her I had a party to go to and that I didn't want to talk to her, but when can Sarah ever take a hint? 

I felt a small pain in my chest and I refused to let that side of me take over. What I hadn't noticed was that Maddie had gotten out of the car. 

She walked over to my side, opening the door. "Earth to Brendon. You coming?" I snapped out of my daze and looked at her, smiling as I nodded.

"Sorry, I was just spacing out." Maddie chuckled, holding out her hand for me. "It happens to the best of us." Personally, I liked Maddie more than you, Sarah. I know she had the decency to remain loyal.

We walked into the party hand-in-hand. I searched through the sea of people for Sarah, making sure she would stay out of my lane for tonight.

I didn't want to have to be bothered by an unwanted force. Maddie tugged me towards the drinks, making my lips curl up into a smirk.

As I poured a tiny bit of whiskey in my cup, I noticed that Maddie had left the table. I looked around for her, my eyes stopping when I saw her by the kitchen sink, talking to someone.

I sighed, then clenched my jaw when I saw who she was talking to. No matter how hard I try, Sarah just can't seem to get away from me and my life.

I'm gonna have to go in.