Chapter 9

I sat on the couch, watching re-runs of sitcoms I used to love. I wasn't big of a comedy guy anymore, but I knew that I had a spot for the mystery shows.

I sighed, looking at my phone for the fifth time. I hated tv nowadays. There were too many commercials and cut the show up too much. I don't even remember what happened before the commercial breaks half the time.

That's why I read books. If anything, books tend to give me the need to want more and I'm glad that something in this world doesn't have commercials. There were no breaks from it.

In the middle of the commercial about the Peloton bike, there was a knock at the door. I rolled my eyes, not expecting anyone to come at this time.

I picked up my glass of wine, then walked over to the door. I didn't bother to look through the window to see who it was because that would just waste more time.

Unlocking the door, I turned the knob, shocked to see who was standing there. My heart instantly dropped when I saw Sarah standing there with tears falling down her cheeks.

"I'm s-sorry for bothering you. I-I just-" I placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder, causing her to lock eyes with me. I could see how red her eyes were from crying and that only made my heart hurt more. 

"You're not bothering me. Not at all. Come in." Sarah sniffled, making her way inside. She took a deep breath and turned around. "Brendon, h-he came back."

I furrowed my eyebrows, wanting her to continue. "J-Jason. He threatened m-me." I clenched my jaw. Of course, the bastard was back. I thought I told him to piss off?

"First of all, calm down, Sarah. You're alright. I promise you that he won't be able to get you here. You're safe." She smiled softly, then sniffled again.

"Thanks, Bren." The nickname. Oh, lord the nickname was going to kill me. "No problem. Think of it as a neighbor to neighbor thing. You can trust me."

Before I knew it, I felt her arms wrap around me, enclosing me in a hug. I bit my lip, slowly wrapping my arms around her. 

I have never done this before and to be honest, I think I could get used to this. I imagined her staying in my arms for hours, hugging me like the world was about to end.

I knew that I shouldn't have done that, but I did. I couldn't stop myself. "Do you want to stay and watch Deadpool with me?" Sarah looked up, laughing a little.

"Sure. Deadpool just happens to be one of my favorite movies." What are the chances? I think that we're going to get along perfectly.