Chapter 71.) March 5th...

It was a week later and everyone seemed to have been walking on eggshells. Dajon and Ary left with Yanna and Kwan late last night to check out the villa for their wedding. Karen has been doing her best to look after the kids but the tension between Renae and King made things a little difficult.

Sometimes we've had tears in our eyes when we joined together to sing it, but we still decided to sing it.
We Shall Overcome!

Lord before this victory is won, some will have to get thrown in jail some more, but We Shall Overcome!

Don't worry about us, before the victory is won some of us will lose jobs, but We Shall Overcome!

Before the victory is won, even some will have to face physical death, but if physical death is the price that some must pay, to free their children from permanent psychological death, then nothing shall be more redemptive, We Shall Overcome!

Before the victory is won, some will be misunderstood and called bad names and dismissed as rebel-rousers and agitators, but We Shall Overcome!

        Martin Luther King's We Shall Overcome played lowly in Renae's ears as she stared up at the ceiling listening to the rain pour down outside.

        It was only 10:30 in the morning but the sky was as dark as night as the rain came crashing down as if someone had passed away.

And I'll tell you why

        "Why?" Renae asked the same way she used to when she was younger.

        She felt as if she was experiencing dejavú all over again. She vowed to never listen to this speech again the moment she got her life back on track but here she was back to square one.

        With a heavy heart, half a mind and a growing belly, now 6 months to be exact, she only wished she could go back in time and take back what she did.

        She hated who she was becoming and hated the fact that Kingston was ignoring her, their marriage was starting to feel as if it was crumbling and she wasn't sure if he had the energy to fight for her... for it anymore.

         She couldn't figure out why she was so angry with him. Out of everyone, she had no right to feel the way she's been feeling but she couldn't do anything about it.

        When her thoughts gots to going that was it, she could try to keep words to herself but she couldn't.

        Pausing the speech, Renae wiped at her eyes and sat up just as King was entering the room.

         The second their eyes locked he focused his attention elsewhere as if she wasn't even there. It's what he's been doing since the incident and she hated it.

         They were married, lived under the same roof yet didn't speak a word to each other as if they were strangers all over again.

        Pulling his drawer open, Renae rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly and slid off the bed.

        "Hey... um ca—" her words were cut short when he removed her hand from his and walked around her.

        The way that he looked over her as if she wasn't standing right there in front of him bruised her heart.

        Sighing, Renae reluctantly followed him into the bathroom and leaned on the door hugging herself as she watched him pack things.

        "Can we talk?" She asked.