Chapter 49.) When It's All Said And Done

14-year-old Renae...

"Who are you waiting for?" Dajon asked Renae as she stared out the window.

        "My dad's supposed to come and get me this weekend," she replied then sighed closing the blinds.

         Dajon pouted standing next to her and rubbed her back, "Is he gonna come this time?"

         Ahmed has been promising her for years that he would take her here and there and always seemed to forget about her. Dajon was young but it hurt his feelings to watch his older sister get disappointed every day.

         "He promised this time," she mumbled opening the blinds again.

         "I can wait with you if you want?"

          "You don't have to, I'm ok," she assured.

          "Renae," Egypt called entering the living room.

          "You can wait by the mailbox, he said he's on his way,"

          Smiling, Renae picked up her book bag and gave Dajon a hug before rushing out. As many times as Ahmed disappointed her she still loved him.

        Sitting on the bench by the tree Renae placed her book bag next to her and zipped her coat up. It was mid fall and 54 degrees outside, the sky was gray and the wind was blowing but Renae didn't care.

         Her daddy was coming and that's all that mattered, she had a list of things she wanted them to do and had a lot of books she wanted him to read.

        She loved writing poetry and wanted to show Ahmed just how much she's improved. She had a thing for music as well and found a new dance that she wanted to show him.

        She was excited and couldn't wait to spend time with him.

        "Can I sit here?" Dajon asked cutting into her thoughts.

        "Yeah," she smiled grabbing her book bag and placed it on the other side of her.

         "He should be here,"

         "He's coming," she nodded staring at the road.

        Dajon stared at her for a moment then sighed, he felt bad for her and definitely didn't like Ahmed.

        "I'm gonna miss you," he admitted messing with the bark on the tree.

        "I'm coming back," she promised nudging him and he smiled.

        "I know," he sighed watching a car drive by.

         2 hours had went by and there was still no sign of Ahmed, it was getting dark out and Dajon was ready to go back inside but didn't want to leave Renae.

        "I'm getting cold," Dajon mumbled rubbing his hands together.

        "You can go inside if you want I'm ok," She replied.

         "Come inside with me, it's cold out," he said hopping down from the bench.

        "I'll be in there soon," she assured.

        Staring at her for a moment, Dajon blew out a breath and nodded walking away.

           Looking up at the dim sky, he glanced back at Renae before heading inside the house and Renae frowned staring at the ground and swung her legs.