Chapter 62.)

A few years ago

"What's this?" Egypt asked when Renae handed her a permission slip to attend her high school prom.

"It's for Prom... they're having it in June, I just wanted to know if I could go?"

"You're seventeen Renae.... guys like to sleep with girls around your age that night,"

"I'm not having sex mom, you know that I just want to go," Renae replied.

Staring at her for a moment, Egypt read over the form silently.

"It's fifty dollars,"

"I can pay for it, I saved up," she assured.

Egypt sighed picking up the pen and signed her name.

"Who are you going with? I thought Keenan's lil friends stopped talking to you?"

Renae lowered her head and rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly, it was true. A lot of the guys Renae were friends with stopped talking to her and always avoided her in the hallway and cafeteria.

She asked Keenan if he had anything to do with it but he denied it but she felt it in her spirit that it was his doing.

"Malik said he'll find a group of girls for me to go with,"

"What is up with this Malik? Does he like you or something? Every time I turn around that fast ass lil boy is trying to be around you," Egypt frowned.

"I don't know... I don't look at him that way," Renae shrugged.

"I can go by myself if that's an issue. I don't mind," she added.

"You have three months.... just let me make sure my money right, I'll see what I can do about your dress and shoes," Egypt said and Renae nodded.

"Thank you," Renae smiled attempting to hug her but Egypt gave her a funny look that embarrassed her.

"Just keep your grades up,"

"I will," Renae replied picking up the form and Egypt grabbed her wrist.

Renae wasn't sure what was to come and the nervous look on her face made Egypt frown as she let her go.

"I was just going to hand you this... damn girl," she said holding up the fifty dollar bill.

"Sorry," Renae mumbled taking it from her before walking away quickly.

Once inside her room, she put the form and money inside her binder.

Laying back on her bed, Renae stared up at the dingy ceiling and smiled to herself.

"What'd she say!" Dajon busted inside her room.

"I could have been changing," She squinted her eyes at him and he waved her off.

"I knew you weren't. The hallway starts to smell like marshmallows when you're changing, so what did she say?" Renae eyed him briefly wanting to know how in the world did he know so much about her to be so young.

"She said yeah,"

"For real? Wow, I guess Dad really wasn't playing with her," he chuckled and Renae nodded.