Chapter 13.)

A few years ago

        "So you like this girl?" Karen asked Kingston after he finished telling her about Renae.

        "I do... it's just, I'm not sure if we can even get through dis friend stage because she's been through some shit mama... like some tough shit." He told her as he placed his face in his hands and sighed.

        "So she stayed tha' night with you correct?" She asked and he nodded.

        "But when I got up dis morning she was gone... I haven't called or texted her yet because I want to give her some space."

         "Even if she tells you she doesn't want you to check in on her she doesn't mean it King, you should know dat firsthand." She told him and he nodded understanding.

         "So you've known about her for how long?"

        "We bumped into each other in January... so about four months. Da crazy thing is we both were confused on which date we met." He chuckled and she smiled seeing the soft smile that danced on his lips.

         "But she went away?" She asked and he nodded.

        "Yeah."

         "When we first finally started to kick it she disappeared for two months." He added and she furrowed her brows.

        "And came back like dis?"

        "Yeah." He answered, she stared at him for a moment then took a deep breath.

        "Do you think she's.... crazy or has like split personality?"

        He looked at her like she had three heads.

        "I spoke with her before she was sent away ma, shorty is sane, she wasn't like dis until AFTER she came back from dat damn place." He said slightly offended by her words.

        "So maybe whatever happened to her turned her a little crazy." She stated and he chuckled shaking his head.

        "If you knew what happened to her you wouldn't keep labeling her as 'crazy' ma." He said and she crossed her legs and frowned.

        "Ok so help me understand." She pressed but he shook his head.

        "I'll call you later." He sighed standing, not wanting to continue this conversation anymore.

        "If I offended you in any way let me know." She said after they hugged.

         "I'm cool, I'm finna call her." He sighed picking up his keys.

        "Ok, well I hope things get better for you two."

        Nodding, he clicked on Renae's contact and hit the FaceTime option. While he got situated in the car, Renae had answered after a few moments with watery eyes.

        "What happened?" Was the first thing that left his mouth.

        "I'm so sick of myself." She groaned as she wiped her face.

        "What happened baybeh girl?"

        "I had a damn panic attack at the gas station." She huffed then shook her head.