“He told me to take my beanie off as it wasn’t suitable for a mosque so if he had a problem with my jeans he would have said something.” Youssef was getting annoyed and I could see how this could turn to a fight really fast but I knew better than to interrupt them. Ayman wouldn’t be too pleased as he was the man of the house and he shouldn’t be talked over.

                “I said go change them now. Don’t be a rotten boy.” Ayman didn’t even look at Youssef but his voice was stern enough to make a point.

                “I’m not rotten! They are just jeans. Why do you have the need to control everything about me?” Youssef snapped.

                “You are being awfully disrespectful right now.” Ayman was calm and collect as usual but he was mad. I could feel it in the way he was trying to keep his voice monotoned so he wouldn’t snap on Youssef.

                “You are not my father you know!” Youssef’s eyes widen in regret as Ayman’s head snapped looking at Youssef with hurt more than anything.

                It hurt like hell hearing those words from Youssef. I know my heart just sunk when I heard him and I couldn’t even imagine how Ayman must be feeling right now.

                After that accident, both Ayman and I made a promise to ourselves and to our parents, that we would never make Youssef feel like an orphan. No matter what happened between us or what happened around us we never wanted Youssef to feel like he was less than anyone else, that he was alone, that he had no one.

                “I-I’m sorry-” Youssef said immediately.

                “Go change please.” Ayman’s voice was the same calm and cold one he used just a few seconds ago but it wasn’t under mere control like before. It was just cold.

                Youssef nodded and rushed up-stairs to changed giving me a chance to talk to Ayman before he would return.

                “You know he didn’t mean it like that, right?” I asked in a hushed voice.

                “Yeah, I know.” Ayman nodded coldly.

                “He just wants to feel like a grown man. You know how it is with teenagers.” I defended Youssef but at the same time I didn’t want to be rude to Ayman.

                “I’m trying to make him a good man.” Ayman sighed.

                “I know but he’s stubborn. The more you treat him like a child the more it will turn into a fight with him.” I explained.

                But before Ayman got a chance to reply to me, we heard Youssef’s footstep to the kitchen so he stopped himself and I took the rest of the plates in the fridge so it wouldn’t go bad.

                “Ready?” I asked Youssef who looked at Ayman for approval.

                After Ayman nodded, we all went out closing the door behind us then getting in Ayman’s car. The car ride to the mosque was spend in awkward silence. Youssef had his headphones in his ears while both Ayman and I were just silently looking ahead.

                When we reached the mosque, Ayman searched for a good parking spot in front of the door then we all went up to Sheikh Ibrahim’s office over the women prayer’s wing.

                I loved how big this mosque was. It had a huge prayer space, a celebration hall which was more like a celebration floor and many offices that differ in its size according to their uses. Some were for meetings of the community, some for learning purposes and others were specific people’s office. It was like a whole community inside our mosque. A Muslim community.