DBH Markus X Fem! Human! Reader - A Duet at the Piano

Author's Note: Hello, my lovelies. Here's another DBH Markus oneshot with the same female reader from the last oneshot. I do hope everyone enjoys it since I'm enjoying the writing of the multiple oneshots for Detroit: Become Human for Connor and Markus.

———————————————————-

Several weeks had passed since Markus saved you from falling from a ladder near the living room bookshelf and you were still mulling it over in your head ever since that fateful night. While you were grateful to him for doing so and while you thought it was just part of his program to prevent harm or illness from coming to you or Carl, there was a small part of you that believed that Markus was becoming like less of an android with every passing day that he spent in the Manfred household. Just the way Markus looked at you when he saved you and even when you told him how you came to be a permanent resident at Carl's house, those peridot irises twinkling with not a shred of contact lost the entire time you spoke and his audio sensors constantly picking up on every syllable, it just seemed like he was not android...It just appeared as if you saw Markus's humanity and empathy in that moment as you noticed some kind of affection brewing in his eyes with every glance. So as you got out of your bed every day and went to bed every night, these thoughts and beliefs danced in circles around your consciousness as you couldn't get Markus out of your head. Over the next few weeks since that night Markus broke your fall, you had seen a poster around town for auditions at the local theatre for a musical and it piqued your interest because you loved this musical so much for its storyline, lead role, and music. Since you hadn't been onstage in several years ever since your grandfather became ill and you wanted to take care of him until his sudden passing, you decided it was high time to put yourself out there again and get back to singing and acting on stage, just like when you were a little girl. Therefore, you put your heart and soul into making sure you got the lead female part in that audition by practicing every day and night with both the script and song assigned to you by the director and producer who were working on casting at the auditions.

Over the next few weeks, Carl and Markus noticed a switch in your mood as you masked nervousness with genuine excitement while you were helping Markus with housework so he would have more time to relax or taking care of Carl in Markus's absence when he went to get paint at Bellini's. The first switch in your mood was that your focus increased more than it already had been as they watched you pace back and forth around the house, always with a paper binder in hand as you constantly went over lines for your highlighted sections of the script for all possible parts you wished to audition for. Sometimes, they even caught you dancing around in circles in the living room with your eyes closed as you silently listened to the songs of the musical in the wireless headphones that were attached to your smartphone. Just seeing you so focused and excited made Markus and Carl happy to watch you as you noticed them smiling whenever you entered the room with your own smile, full of love and kindness. They even offered to help you with your audition by going over lines and practicing your music if you so wished it, which you accepted their help gladly as Carl often helped you with lines by reading off the other characters' parts while he was relaxing in the living room with you after he was done painting for the day and you had returned home from work. However, one such moment that occurred over the few weeks you spent preparing for the audition literally made Markus's thirium pump skip a beat, even without you being aware of his presence watching over you.

Markus had just finished turning on the mechanical birds and setting the table for breakfast after getting more paint from Bellini's when he heard the most beautiful sound coming from your room as he rounded the stairs. Recognizing the voice to be feminine, Markus figured it was you listening to the soundtrack from the musical you were auditioning for. However, there was a small part of him that believed the singing voice belonged to you and you alone since you were usually awake before ten in the morning. Therefore, he couldn't help himself from taking a peek from behind your door as it was left open a crack before he noticed you singing acapella in front of your full-length ground mirror. You were fully clothed in an oversized sweater and black leggings, an outfit usually worn by you when you had a day off from the hospital. With your long hair like Rapunzel free-flowing as you brushed it out of your face with your hand and a warm smile with fluttering eyes ever-present with every note and lyric, Markus thought you looked absolutely ethereal as his peridot eyes warmed at the sight of you. Honestly, he didn't know what came over him but whenever he looked at you in your natural state without any makeup on or formal business clothes on your person, what he saw was an angel who always exchanged kind words and a helping hand. But in his mind, you were so beautiful that words couldn't even describe what he was feeling. If he tried to explain again what was happening to him, he would say he felt overheated as his internal fans desperately tried to cool him down while his thirium pump beat faster with every glance his eyes took upon your physique. Markus always knew you could sing since he had seen some of your old work on videos your grandfather had made for you when you were a kid. But compared to now, you had absolutely grown in your craft and sounded more mature with a richness and clarity to your tone, diction, and pitch that was unique to you. It made Markus go nuts on the inside just staring at you lovingly as a gentle smile appeared on his face and his LED glowed blue, then yellow while it spun around on his temple. As he stared in longing at you, a conflict brewed in Markus's heart and his programming. He wanted to look away and announce his presence at the door so he could get you and Carl downstairs for breakfast. He wanted to just forget what he saw and carry on with a business-like relationship towards you. He wanted to just be the best android caretaker he could be to to you and Carl...But the image of you, the beautiful great niece of Carl Manfred singing in front of her mirror, was burned into his memory. And honestly, he never wanted to look away and he never wanted to forget. So long as he could see you like that and engage with you every day since you were always so kind to him, he didn't care who knew of his current feelings in regards to you.