Credence Barebone x Female Reader - Good Enough

IMAGINE THAT YOU ARE FEELING INSECURE ABOUT YOURSELF AND CREDENCE COMES TO COMFORT YOU.

_______________________________

For the longest time, you had known one boy named Credence Barebone ever since you were just a little girl. You came from a good, well-to-do family with enough wealth, support, and love from both of your parents to keep you happy and out of trouble. But the same couldn't be said for Credence. In comparison to your happy childhood, the young man definitely deserved better than what he did have. Being constantly beaten physically and insulted by your adoptive mother and treated like an outcast in your own home, the only home you do know, that was not a very ideal situation to be in when you're an only child who depends upon friendly affection and unconditional love to function as a human being. Although you felt sorry for Credence, there was not much you could do without the young man you called "best friend" begging you not to help to avoid conflict with Mary Lou Barebone, or "The Wicked Witch" as you called her because of you and Credence's favorite movie, The Wizard of Oz, even though she despised all magic in her personal beliefs and her pamphlets that she made Credence pass out every day. Honestly, if she would've found out about that little inside joke among friends, she would let Credence have it until he couldn't walk or even feel his bloody hands for a week. And even though your parents wanted to help too when they learned of your dear friend's plight, they understand the severity of the situation and didn't want to make it worse on the boy in case no one believed him or you and Mary Lou wanted to try anything funny.

Eventually, Credence was able to get away from Mary Lou and was learning to control his powers, all while you remained at his side as his best friend. You were the only constant thing and the only light in the young man's life and he felt his powers becoming ever more under his control the more time you spent together. And with Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob to help, Credence started to get the love and care he truly deserved and needed after years of being touch-starved and abused. Plus, the pastries that Queenie and Jacob made as well as the creatures in Newt's suitcase that you and Credence always visited every so often were an extra bonus.

However, behind closed doors, everything was not always what it seemed with you. Although you were outwardly confident, kind, gentle, and intelligent, you were fighting an internal battle with yourself as the little voices in your head told you differently. One moment, you would be happy to start your day without hesitation and the next moment, you would want to go curl up into a ball and cry your eyes out after smashing your mirror to bits because the voices in your head would call you "ugly," "dumb," or even "weak." And even though you thought nobody noticed, your own mother saw through your façade and your new friends did too. Heck, Queenie and Jacob even tried to make you special treats when you were feeling especially down. But more importantly, Credence could see through it even though his efforts of helping were more subtle and unnoticed by you.

But one day, you were just feeling extra awful after going clothes shopping with Tina and Queenie. Trying on several different dresses and seeing thin mannequins in stores displaying different outfits of many colors and patterns was just taking its toll on you. The more skin the two Goldstein sisters seemed to show, the more insecure you felt about yourself. Sure, you weren't the skinniest girl in the Big Apple, but you were not unnaturally obese to an unhealthy level for your height and age and your weight didn't make you any less beautiful than Tina and Queenie. However, the more you looked at the two girls and the beautiful clothes that you knew wouldn't fit you, the more tears started to prick your eyes as Queenie felt a disturbance in your thoughts. You had never once confided in anyone aside from your mother about your somber emotions about your physical image, but Queenie could hear every racing thought that was going through your head as tears almost pooled in her shining orbs. She was so sad and disgusted that anyone who never knew you would say such nasty things but also that you would have little evil voices in your head who would fill your mind with poison and feed your insecurities like fresh meat to a rabid dog. Eventually, Tina started to notice as she asked her sister, "Queenie, what is it? What's wrong? What do you hear?" However, Queenie could do nothing but nod her head sideways as if to point at you before she whispered something in Tina's ear that made the young woman gasp lightly.