Yeah, it was no fun for me, but at least the house was suitable for humans to live in. So all that time and effort wasn’t for nothing.

 We got used to the neighborhood rather quickly. It was a nice neighborhood with just everything that we could possibly need around the corner, which made me quite happy as it made running a daily errand easier.

 But what made me happier was the fact that my prayers were answered. We hadn’t seen or heard from that Zayn Malik guy since the first day here. It was like he wasn’t even there, which was a great relief to me.

 “Morning Iman,” Ayman said when he got down from his from bedroom. He was already dressed like usual in his suit, all ready for work.

 “Morning Ayman. Did you sleep well?” I asked pouring some hot water into his mug and adding the tea bag and some sugar.

 “Yeah, but it would have been nicer to get another hour or two of sleep.” He took the mug from me and started blowing gentling to make it a bit cooler.

 “Ayman, we are settled in the house now and I think there aren’t that many things left to be done around so, I was thinking of maybe getting a part time job?” I asked pretending to be doing something so I wouldn’t have to look at him.

“Why do you need a part time job? We are doing well, Alhamdulillah.” He put his tea down and gave me his full attention. Ayman was a very traditional man, in the old fashion meaning of the word.

 He believed that it is that man’s job to provide for his family and to never make his family feel like they need anything, but at the same time, he believed that a woman’s place is in her house, taking care of her family.

 He didn’t see jobs and work as career opportunities; he saw them as a way to provide for yourself and your family. And as long as we had enough money for us to live a decent life then there was no need for me to work.

 It was very hard for me to convince him to let me study business and I didn’t even want to imagine the war I would be in with him when I tell him I want a full time job in marketing.

 “It’s not that Ayman. It’s just very boring here. I have nothing to do all day and I just want to do something useful with my time.” I tried to give him my point of view on the matter. Maybe he will change his mind.

 “You can pick up a hobby Iman. What is the need for a part time job?” He asked then took a sip of his tea.

 “I just want to feel like I’m contributing in a way. I hate just setting around and doing nothing,” I argued, but that wasn’t my only reason. I just wanted him to accept the fact that I’m working so when I get my degree it would be easier for me to have a real job.

 “You are contributing Iman. This house won’t function without your contribution,” he said looking at his watch.

 “I only do the cooking and cleaning. I can manage a job as well.” Desperation leaked in my voice. He needed to let me do this.

 “Cooking and cleaning are very important, Iman.” He got up from his chair and adjusted his jacket.

 “Yeah but I-"

 “Iman, I have to go. We will talk about this later,” he interrupted me then took his keys and phone and left.

 Sighing, I washed his mug then wrapped a hijab over my head and went to our porch, sitting on the swing that we installed yesterday.

 Watching the people go about in the street was actually somewhat of a distraction to my thoughts. I imagined what it would be like to be any one of them, doing whatever I feel like doing without having to fight for a simple right.