Episode Eighteen (Clip Four)

(An hour later........)

When the racers went back up the summit, the spectators went wild for JL and the team as they crowd them.

"That was a great race!!!"

"It was awesome!!!"

"Can I get your autograph?!" 

The dark blue chuckled as he tried to calm down the crowd. The noise then died down as Ryoichi showed up, pushing his way through the people to get to JL. He had a face of frustration.

"I can't understand!" The heir yelled. "Why is that I can't beat you?! I purely had the better car and better technique of cornering! So why can't I beat you?!!"

JL calmly stood as he looked at his opponent in the eye. "If you want the answer it's pretty simple actually. And the other reason is that my Sensei had actually encountered the same scenario before." 

Ryoichi was dumbfounded. "Who is your Sensei??"

"He's a racing expert and he once was a undefeated street racer back in the late 90s." JL began. "He's also once raced a Ferrari, which had ten times the horsepower his Green Evo 5 had but still managed to win."

"And his advantage you ask? It was tyre pressure."

"My advice to you is to detune your car cause no matter how insanely fast you can go at the straightaways, you have to brake before entering a hairpin which means your brakes are going to suffer a lot quicker than I can imagine. Racing brakes or not, nothing can withstand that constant heat of a 1000 degrees Celsius upon braking into multiple corners before they wore out as the same as the tyres like you've done so during the consecutive hairpins. The other reason why your racing brakes are no use in a mountain pass is that they're made mainly for circuit uses only, where there are lesser tight corners coming at you but on a mountain pass, you're nothing but torturing those brakes with the speed you're  going, added with gravity pulling down your Agera R on the downhill adds more wood into the fire."

"Most racers lost to you probably because they tried to jump ahead during those consecutive turns but then get passed by you during the high speed section. But I stayed behind and waited for your brakes or tyres to slip, that's why I was able to beat you."

The crowd listened quietly as JL continued to explain.

"This is why I like the mountain pass with all my heart. It's because disguising amount of horsepower doesn't make you the fastest here and it all comes down to the weight and balance of your ride. And lastly, some good old driving technique is only what makes the true king of the mountain roads."

Ryoichi scratched his golden blonde hair as he was thinking about the changes he needed to make to his Koenigsegg. "So I have to detune my car and better my technique in corning?"

JL nodded. "That's right, and with that you can go faster between the corners without wearing your brakes down so easily."

"How much horsepower you have now stock?"

"Err.... about a 1000." Ryoichi said.

"That's too much. It's a miracle you're still in one piece. Detune it to about 600 or so would be enough and renew your brakes because I'm sure your current ones are toasted breads right now."

"So I have to renew my brakes and detune my engine." Ryoichi thought about it. "But my speed will drop drastically!" He wailed.

"Well it's your car not mine, so it's up to you to decide. But in your next race and your brakes end up slipping causing you to plunge down a ravine, you'll be wishing you took my advice." JL warned him.