At last!  The cab pulled into the orphanage’s lot and parked.

               “Here’s the place, lovelies.”

               “Thank ya,” Peter gave the man his funds and popped out of the car.  He took a look at his watch and saw that they arrived later than he had hoped.   He stuck his head back into the car and watched Jennie and Audrey get out on the other side.

               “Alright, Peter, we’re ready,” Jennie said bravely.  Though, Peter could see the tears collecting around her large, round eyes.

               They walked up a grassy slope that joined up with a pebbly pathway.   Ahead of them stood an iron gate, which was open at that time.  The trio walked through the gates and made it to the front steps.  Peter was marveled at the neatness and somewhat warmness of the place. He expected something far worse, but this place looked quaint and respectable.   Peter suddenly stopped halfway on the road.   He couldn’t move.  His legs stiffened and he just stared at the orphanage, loathing every crevice, crack, brick, and window he could see.   “I can’t do this, Jennie.  I can’t.  Let’s go abroad; forgit all of this.   We can’t do it.”

               Jennie clutched onto Peter’s arm.  “Think, Peter, think!  That will not be possible.  We are here, we must go through this.  I don’t want to do this either!  But what other logical choice do we have left?”

               Peter sighed and placed a jerky foot forward.  He pulled the other one forward and then the previous foot until he regained enough strength and confidence to continue onward.  When they arrived to the front door, Jennie tapped the door knocker and waited, wringing her handkerchief nervously between her hands.

               Peter leaned in the direction of Jennie.  “I ‘ate the look of this joint.  Too fancy.  Will be too strict for her.  I can’t believe we’re doin’ this.”

               “One step at a time, Peter,” Jennie whispered.

               The door opened and a man with a gray mustache and no hair looked out.  “Who are you?”

               Peter and Jennie did not reply.   Not because they were being stubborn, but simply because they could not. Jennie tried, but her brain swelled with a weird sensation, sending her into the sitting position.  Peter attempted as well, but only sweat and awkward stuttering answered the man’s question.

               “Sir, ma’am, please answer my question!”  the man stomped lightly, bringing Jennie to her feet and Peter out of his discomfort.

               “This is Audrey, a Ms. Helen Trapp placed her in your care,” Jennie said meekly.

               “Oh yes, bring her in.  We have her room ready.  Did you bring any personal belongings?”

               “Just a few clothes and toys in this one suitcase,” Peter replied, motioning to the suitcase tucked under Jennie’s arm.

               “Very good, hurry up!”  the man opened the door for them and then shut it behind them once they were in.  “Follow me!” the man hurried down the white-painted walls and disappeared down another hall.

               Peter and Jennie followed as fast as they could without knocking down life-size statues or being distracted by large colorful paintings.   They heard the chattering voice ahead of them, urging them to “pick up the pace.”

               “Here is her room,” the man said, skidding to a halt and extending a hand to a small room.  

               Jennie stepped in first and was pleased to see the floor clean, the bed made, and the window looking out to a pleasant view.   The walls had two paintings hanging up, both having to do with animals; she knew Audrey would like those.   There was a wash basin and clean towels laid out on a dresser with two drawers.   Jennie turned to Peter, who had come in to lay Audrey on the bed.

               “It seems lovely,” Jennie whispered over Peter.  She fingered her earring in anxiousness.

               “If the people are as lovely as this place, then we might as well leave Audrey here forever!  But somethin’ tells me they drive a tight shift!”  Peter commented, tucking Audrey in and opening her suitcase.

               “I’ll put those away,” Jennie offered, gently prying Peter from the suitcase.

               “How long is she staying?”  the man asked, raising his eyebrow so terribly high that Peter couldn’t help but raise his.

               “I’m not sure, you’d have to ask Ms. Trapp,” Jennie replied, folding Audrey’s clothes and laying them in the drawers neatly.

               Peter sat on the bed, just stroking Audrey’s course hair.  “You will let her know where we’re off to, aye?”

               The man nodded and folded his hands in front of him.  “They are allowed to write if you leave your desired address.”

               “I’ll write it down,” Jennie said, going over to her purse, fetching a pen and piece of paper.  She eyed the clock over the door frame.  “Peter, we got to go.”