Chapter Ninety-Eight: Golden

"Two left." You muttered as you slipped on the bracelet the next morning. "What if this is some strange omen?"
"The ramblings of a mad woman." Mark said, sneaking up behind you.
"I'm not mad." You said, "Not that much."
"I know." He said. "But do you seriously think that one diamond falling off a bracelet every single day really means something?"
"Maybe I am a mad woman." You said, looking away from him.
"The only way I'll consider you mad is if you need to be sent to an asylum." He said.
"Do we really have those anymore?" You asked, looking back at him. "Everyone seems to think that medication would work."
"It doesn't really." He said. "I mean, I'm not saying that it does all the time. But more often than not, it doesn't really help the people that take it."
"Why are we talking about this?" You asked. "We're on our honeymoon. We're supposed to be happy."
"Well, I'm to blame for this." Mark said. "I'm the one who went to you and said that you were rambling like a mad woman."
You rolled your eyes and took his hand in yours.
"Let's go find something to do." You said.
"Like what?" He asked.
You shrugged and said, "Maybe we could just go on the cruise ship and spend the whole day on there. And where we end up is where we end up."
"Sounds like a plan to me." He said. "Make sure that you wear your bikini. And make it the one that I really like."

And so, the two of you set off on an all-day cruise to really nowhere in particular. You were just happy to be spending the day with Mark. After all, you were going to be spending the rest of your lives together. And with the baby on the way, things were going to get pretty hectic then.
"Now I see why you made me get up right before the sunrise." You said. You were standing at the front of the ship and were watching as the sun rose in the sky. It was truly a beautiful thing. You didn't know if a sunrise or a sunset was more beautiful because they both were very remarkable.
"And that's why you should listen to me more." He said, wrapping his arms around you and kissing you on the cheek.
"I listen to you enough as it is." You joked.
"If you're that serious, then you're going to have a fun time with me for the rest of your life." He said. "Because I don't think that I'm ever going to change."
You smiled and kissed him on the cheek as well.
"I wouldn't want you to change." You said. "I still want you to be the same goofball that you are today even when we're one-hundred and some years and we can barely remember the names of our great grandchildren."
"Now, who said that Molly's going to have kids?" He asked.
"The same person that said the baby was a girl." You said.
"That would be me." Mark said. "And I say that she's going to have kids."
"How the hell do you know that?" You asked. "We don't even know if it's a girl or not."
"Yeah but we find out pretty soon." He said, rubbing your stomach gently. "It's going be pretty exciting."
His head was laying on your shoulder with one arm wrapped protectively around you and the baby.
"What do you think that the others are going to think when they find out that we took off without them?" You asked.
"Oh, they're going to flip their shit." He said. "I already know. I've known them for years. I know how they react to things."
"I would've flipped my shit if you went without me." You said.
"Now, who the hell goes on a honeymoon and doesn't spend it with their spouse?" He asked. "That doesn't even make any sense. You shouldn't have gotten married in the first place if you aren't going to spend your honeymoon together. If you can't even do that, how the fuck are you going to survive many years with them?"
"Are you saying that there are people out there that don't spend their honeymoons with their spouses?" You asked.
"(Y/N), there are people out there that kill other people for their own pleasure." Mark said. "There are people out there who abandon their children for no reason whatsoever. There are people out there who do all kinds of dumb shot that would literally take all day for me to list all of them. Maybe even longer than that. People are stupid."
"I'm allergic to stupid." You joked.
"Surprised you aren't dead yet then." He said. "There are too many stupid people out there. You would've had a deadly allergic reaction by now."
You laughed and put your hand on his chin, bringing him just a tiny bit closer to you.
"You know who isn't stupid?" You breathed.
"You." He said.
"I was going to say you but that works too." You joked.
"I love you (Y/N)."
Your lips collided and you closed your eyes. It was so easy to lose yourself in a kiss from him that it was a wonder that you broke out of it. If it were up to you, you would want to spend the rest of your life with his arms wrapped around you, without any worries whatsoever. It would be just the two of you, living the happily ever after that countless fairy tales claimed to happen when a marriage occurred.
But life isn't perfect. It never was and it never will be.
Mark picked you up in his arms and that only made you kiss him harder. He ran his hands along your back and you felt spark fly with every touch. You wrapped your arms around his neck and ran your fingers through his hair. Slowly making your way down to his face. He hadn't shaved in a bit but that was okay with you. He was still the gorgeous Mark that you fell in love with. And he always would be.
"God damn it (Y/N)." He whispered once he needed a breath. "Why do I love you so much?"
"You tell me." You said. "Because I don't have an answer to that question."
"I don't understand how you still managed to make my heart feel like it's going to come right out of my chest." He said, his lips inches away from yours. You yearned for another kiss. "I don't understand why you leave me breathless."
"I don't understand a lot of things." You said, placing your hands on his ears. "I don't understand why people commit crimes, I don't understand why people cheat, I don't understand a lot of things. But one thing that I do understand is that I made the right decision when I said yes to marrying you."
He smiled and he kissed you once more. You wondered why life had to be such a struggle. You wondered why you couldn't just be happy forever.
But happiness never lasts forever.