Chapter Seventy-Four: Graduation!

Today was the day. Graduation. You were both nervous and excited at the same time.
"We're so proud of you honey." Mom said to you as you put on your robe and cap.
"Thanks Mom." You said, giving her a hug.
"We can't wait to see where you go next." Dad said. "Like your Mom said, we're proud."
You smiled as they disappeared to go into the audience. You were silently praying that Mark would come. But you immediately shook off that feeling.
"He's not coming." You muttered to yourself. "Stop trying to convince yourself that you're going to get some surprise."
"Are you talking to yourself?"
A voice dragged you out of your thoughts and nearly made you jump five feet in the air.
"No." You said. "I most certainly am not."
"Sure sounds like it." The source behind the voice was an African student named Zai. She had bright blue eyes and a kind smile. She was going to be your roommate but she picked someone else over you so you never got to know her.
"So what if I am?" You asked.
"Then I don't really care." She said. "Anyway, are you excited about graduating?"
"I'm excited and nervous." You admitted. "I mean, what if I go on and fail?"
"You'll be just fine (Y/N)." Zai said. "You've got a great work ethic and you don't easily give up."
"You sound just like my boyfriend." You said.
"And we all know who your boyfriend is." Zai said, smiling. "Speaking at that, is he here today?"
You shook your head and said, "No. He's really busy doing something. He refuses to tell me what it is."
"He hasn't been very active." She said. "But you have. I always enjoy watching your vlogs."
"Thanks." You said, smiling. "I'm going to make the best out of today. It doesn't matter if he's here or not because I'n going to take his huge step in my life regardless."
"That's the spirit!" Zai said. "Well, looks like it's starting. Good luck."
"You too." You said, smiling. You both walked out and took your places and the principal (Mrs. Smith retired a while back) stood at a podium, microphone in his hand.
"Welcome all!" He said. "This class was full of creative and hard-working students. We enjoyed working with them for the four years that we were blessed to have them here in this school."
The audience clapped and the principal paused until it was quiet once more.
"Now, we have all gathered today to award these young adults with the degrees that they have so rightfully earned for all their hard work." He paused for effect. "Normally, we would go in alphabetical order but today (Y/N) (L/N) has a special surprise coming her way. (Y/N), can you come up here please?"
Confused, you walked up to the principal while everyone clapped for you.
"Normally, I would present the degrees myself." He said. "But someone that is very special to (Y/N) insisted that they wanted to wanted to give it to her. So, (Y/N), enjoy your surprise."
Still confused, everyone started clapping. Looking around, you saw someone that you hoped that would make it and, in the end, did.
"Oh my God." You said, crying tears of joy.