Chapter One-Hundred: Shattered

"(Y/N)! Wake up!"
You were shaken awake and you opened your eyes to see Bob and Wade with looks of dismay on their faces.
"W-What's wrong?" You asked. You looked over to where Mark was laying with you. He was now gone. "Wait. Where's Mark?"
They were silent for a few moments. Wade took a deep breath before speaking.
"They had to take him to the hospital." He said. "The tumor was getting pretty bad. He's going into surgery in a little bit."
Your worst nightmare was starting to come true. You were hoping that this wouldn't happen. But you knew that a surgery was going to be needed sooner or later.
"Come with me to the hospital." You said.
"Of course." Bob said as you got up.

*****

During the entire walk to the hospital, millions of thoughts raced through your head.
Will he be okay?
Can you make it there in time to say goodbye if he doesn't?
Why did he have to be the one to suffer?
Why was the world so cruel to a lovable goofball?

*****

You didn't really say anything to Bob and Wade while you were walking to the hospital.
"Do you think he's going to be okay?" You asked right before you walked in.
"He's a strong one." Wade said. "He'll be okay."
"Do you mind if we go first?" Bob asked.
"Not at all." You said, taking a seat in the waiting room. "Go right ahead. I'll be waiting for you out here."
"Thanks (Y/N)." Wade said, putting a hand on your shoulder. "You've got a good heart. A real good heart."
"You're a strong one too." Bob said, putting his hand on your shoulder when Wade removed his hand. "And a good friend."
"Thanks guys." You said, trying to hold back tears. You didn't want them to see you cry. "You guys are the best friends that I could ever ask for."
Nodding, the both of them disappeared down the hallway. When they were gone, you wanted to cry but the tears just wouldn't come out. You were just stuck there, with the dark thoughts in your mind. You wanted someone to hug. You wanted to feel the embrace of someone that you loved. Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, anyone. But all of them were dead. Because the world took away everyone that you loved so far.
That's when everything came crashing down.
"Oh God no." You muttered. "Don't take him. He's innocent. If you really have to take someone, take me."
You looked down at the bracelet that once belonged to his mother. A single diamond remained.
"All this time," You said. "it was counting down the days I had left until something like this happened. There's no way that that's a coincidence at this point."
"(Y-Y/N)?"
You looked up and saw Bob and Wade once more.
"How's it going?" You asked.
"He asked to see you." Wade said.
You stood up and said, "How's he doing?"
"You'll see." Bob said simply. "Good luck."
You sighed and began making your way to his room. Along the way, you glanced into other rooms and saw the other patients. One housed a young couple with a newborn baby, another house an old man laying in bed with his wife next to him, another housed a young boy in a coma, and the last one housed a man with black hair. But he wasn't just any man with black hair. He was Mark Edward Fischbach, the man that was there when you had gotten into the accident, the man that visited you while you were in the hospital, the man that offered you a home when you had nowhere else to go, the man that helped you go to college, the man that helped you break your addiction, the man that made sure that you always had a smile on your face, the man that decided that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with you. He was also the future father of your child and he would be a great one.
"M-Mark?" You choked out when you stepped into his room, still trying to hold back tears.
"(Y/N)." He whispered so softly that it was barely audible. "It's you."
"Of course it's me you goofball." You said, running over him and taking his hand. "I had to come see you. Now, listen to me. You're going to go into surgery and you're gonna be-"
"(Y/N)."
You ignored him and kept talking, "You're gonna be okay. The tumor's gonna go away and we can live a happy life together and we're gonna raise a wonderful child."
"(Y/N)."
"We're gonna old together and we're gonna die together."
"(Y/N)!"
He sounded so serious. You decided to let him speak.
"What?" You asked gently.
"I-I'm not doing the surgery." He said.
That's when you felt your heart sink into your stomach.
"W-what?" You said in disbelief. "W-why not?"
"I would have to get surgeries for the rest of my life to keep the tumor under control." He said. "I've been doing it for two years now. I can't do that to you or the baby. What kind of father would I be if my son or daughter to constantly worry about if I'm going to make it through the next surgery? I couldn't so that."
That's when you decided that you just couldn't hold the tears back anymore.
"Please," He said, reaching over to wipe away your tears. "don't cry. It's for the best."
You sniffed and said, "I don't want you to be in pain anymore. I hate you seeing you like this."
He slowly started smiling and reached over to kiss you. It was the longest kiss you two ever shared, and the last.
"Thank you." He said. "Thank you for loving me. Thank you for getting me to stop drinking. Thank you for showing me that life is truly worth living."
"Thank you for being there for me when no one else was." You said, bawling your eyes out. "Thank you for literally saving me. My life would be so much different without you."
He paused for a long moment and drew in a breath.
"I love you (Y/N)." He choked out.
"I love you too." You said, your tears clouding your vision.
He put his hands on your face and looked you dead in the eyes.
"Listen to me when I say this." He said. "I'll always be there watching you. Call out to me when you need me and I'll be there. You may not be able to see me, but I'll make sure that you know I'm your guardian angel."
You just kept crying and didn't even say a word.
"You're gonna be a great mother." He said. "And remember, Molly for a girl and Ashton for a boy. Take care (Y/N). I'll always love you."
The last thing you heard was the long beeping of the machine and a little clink as the very last diamond hit the ground.