Chapter Five: Opening Up

"What?!" You said after Mark confessed that he was the one who caused the accident. "You're the reason why I'm in here in the first place?! You asshole! How could you do this to me?!"
"(Y/N), please." Mark said. You saw that he looked like he was about to cry. "I already feel bad about it and they haven't found out that it was me. Everyone thinks that it was just a really bad collision."
"Can you tell me the truth?" You whisper, trying to keep your voice down. You weren't sure if you were going to tell anyone yet but you at least wanted to hear Mark's side of the story.
"Okay." He said. "I was driving in my car with my brother Tom and my mother. We were just coming back from one of our family outings that we have once a month. I was driving them back to their places and this car suddenly stopped because of a stoplight and I didn't have much time to react so I slammed on the brakes as fast as I could. But I ended up slamming straight into the car. That's when the six other cars came. My mother and brother both died upon impact but somehow I managed to make it out alive with only a slap on the wrist."
"Wow." was the only thing that you could manage to say. Here was this man that you've known for only three days and here he was pouring his heart out to you. "But you know that you didn't technically cause the accident, right? It was the person who stopped in the first place who caused it."
"I know." Mark said. He looked like he was about to cry. "I-I just blame myself because I wish that it was me who died instead of them. My brother had a long life ahead of him and my mom could've lived a few more years."
"Maybe it's destiny that you were the only other survivor of the accident." You say. "I mean, if you would've died, I wouldn't have someone coming to bug me every day."
He chuckled. You were happy to see him smiling again.
"Thanks (Y/N)." He said. "It's nice to know that you think that I'm annoying."
"Now, I never said that." You say. "I only said that you bugged me every time that you visit."
"Fair enough." He said. "Well, I better go. I got some things to take care of."
"Bye." You say as he started to walk out of the room.
"Oh." He said when he reached the doorway. "And (Y/N)?"
"Yeah?" You say.
"Thanks for listening." He said.
Before you could respond, he walked out of your room.