Chapter Ninety-One: A Trip Down Memory Lane

"What are we going to do today?" Mark asked you when he came to your house the next day.
"We could go to L.A." You suggested.
"That would be nice." He said. "But it's a little last minute, don't you think?"
"Yeah. You're right." You agreed. "Maybe we could go by your old house."
"My old house?" He asked. "That's a strange request."
"What?" You said. "I can't see the place where you grew up?"
"Now, I never said that." He said, wrapping an arm around you. "But I guess that it would be nice to go and visit that place. Last I heard, no one was living there."
"Well, let's get going then." You said.
He chuckled and shut the door behind you as you stepped outside. You made sure that it was locked before heading out to the car. You reached over to open your door but Mark did it for you.
"Wow, what a gentleman." You commented as you sat down and buckled your seatbelt.
"It's what I do." He said before closing the door. You watched as he walked over to his side and got in.
"You know, sometimes I wish that we were actually married right now so I didn't have to wear this damn ring around my neck." He said, closing his door and showing his gold chain that held a small golden ring.
"Well, only I get to wear mine because I'm special." You said, looking down at the ring.
"Okay, I won't argue against the fact that you're special." Mark said as he looked out the back window in order to back out of the driveway. "I will however argue against the fact that it's fair that only women get to wear the ring while engaged."
"So are you saying that only men should get to wear it?" You asked.
"Now, I didn't say that." He said, beginning to drive off. "I merely said that I don't think it's fair that only women get to wear it."
"So, what do you think?" You asked. "I'm confused."
"Let me enlighten you then." He said. "I think that both men and women should get to wear the rings during engagement because it shows that both of them are dedicated to someone."
"Plus married men seem to be more attractive." You said.
"That's true." He said. He paused for a few moments before adding, "Wait. Did you just say what I think you just said?"
"Yep." You said, laughing. "I definitely said what you think I just said."
"Oh my God (Y/N)." He said, shaking his head as he turned a corner. "You are ridiculous."
"I know I am." You said. "And I take pride in that."
"Okay then." He said, coming to a stop at a worn down house. "We're here."
"This place is...worn down." You said as you got out of the car and shut the door behind you.
"Yeah. No shit Sherlock." Mark said in a teasing voice as he went over to you and wrapped his arms around you. "But this is bringing back so many memories."
"I bet." You said as you admired the old house. "Is this house for sale?"
"I don't think so." He said. "I imagine that no one really wants to put the money into repairing it."
"Would you?" You asked.
"Hell yeah I would." He said. "It's my old house, so of course I would. But I'm probably just biased when I say that."
"Probably." You agreed. "Let's go check out the woods in the back."
"Someone watched my "Draw My Life" video." He said proudly.
"A lot of people watched that video." You said. You were silent for a few moments because you wanted to ask him something but you didn't really want to talk about it.
"What's wrong?" Mark asked. He always seemed to know when something was wrong, no matter how hard you tried to hide it. Not that you were trying to hide it at the moment, of course.
"Oh, nothing." You said. You knew that that wouldn't work. It never did.
"Don't do this to me (Y/N)." He said, moving your face closer to his. You took note that your lips were inches away from each other. "You know that that never works on me."
"I know but I really rather not talk about it." You said. "And I know for a fact that you wouldn't like talking about it either."
"Is this about my cancer (Y/N)?" Mark asked.
"Yes." You admitted.
"I knew it." He said. "Listen to me. I'd rather not talk about it either. Hell, I wish it really wasn't in our lives. But it is. And we have to deal with it. So just ask me."
"Fine." You said, avoiding eye contact with him. "Did you tell your fans about it?"
"Yes." He said, turning your head so that you could see the brown eyes that you loved so much. "I did. They're devastated."
"I bet." You said.
"Now, let's try to enjoy what we came here for." He said. "Let's go in the woods."
"Okay." You agreed. "That would be nice."
He smiled and took your hand in his. He began to lead you to the backyard and you saw the woods get closer and closer as you walked towards it.

"I used to play here with my brother all the time." Mark said when you first entered the woods. "I don't know why I said that. I guess to remember the good times even more, I suppose."
You smiled and looked up at the sky. Somewhere up there were not only your loved ones, but Mark's loved ones as well.
"There will be plenty of new stars up there tomorrow. Just you wait."
Mark's words from last night echoed in your head. Many people were born each and every day and many people died each and every day as well.
"It's a beautiful day today." Mark said to you as you looked up at the sky.
"It is." You agreed.
"Come here." He said, yanking your arm. "I want to show you something."

He lead you over to an area where it looked like something was buried.
"What am I looking at?" You asked.
"I buried something in here." He said. "I don't know what it is but how about we find out?"
"Don't we need a shovel for that?" You asked.
"Shovel?" Mark scoffed. "We don't need a shovel. Why would we need it when we can get down and dirty?"
"You're a strange one." You said as he got down on the ground.
"Why don't you come join me then?" He asked.
"Fine." You said, doing so.

After a significant amount of time digging, you brushed dirt off your hands and saw an old box sitting down in the hole that you and Mark dug.
"Is this what I think it is?" He asked as he took the box out of the hole and opened it. You couldn't see what was inside because he was blocking your view. "Yes. It is."
"What is it?" You asked.
He turned back towards you and held out a beautiful gold bracelet that had a bunch of little diamonds surrounding it.
"This is beautiful." You said. "Why the hell was it in that rusty ass box?"
"It belonged to my mother." He said. "She buried it right after my dad died because he gave it to her for one of their anniversaries before they..."
"It's amazing." You said. "This is worth a ton of money."
"I didn't dig it up for the money." Mark said. "I dug it up because I want you to have it (Y/N)."
"What?" You asked in shock. "Me? No way. It's your mom's. You should have it. It's a piece of her."
"Yeah but she told me to give it to someone that meant the world to me." He said, placing the bracelet in your hands. "And there's no one that fits the bill other than you (Y/N)."
"I can't believe it." You said as you put the bracelet around your wrist. "I'll take really good care of it."
"Good." He said, hugging you. "I would love it if you did."