Chapter Twenty-Three: Why Us?

You thought about yours and Mark's addiction equally that night.
"Why us?" You thought. "What did we do wrong?"
You knew what you did wrong. You murdered your own brother. You wondered why you never got caught. But, nonetheless, you still felt guilty about what you had done. You prayed that the guilt wouldn't drive you insane.
"Why us?" You muttered. You and Mark were laying on the grass in the backyard and stargazing.
"Hm?" Mark said, looking over at you.
"N-nothing." You said. "I was just thinking to myself, that's all."
"What were you thinking about?" He asked, grabbing ahold of your hand.
"Our addictions." You said. There was no beating around the bush about it. He would find out at some point anyway. "I was thinking of why it had to be us?"
"Fate is a cruel mistress." He said simply. "Sometimes I wonder why someone whose smoked their entire life doesn't get lung cancer but a young person who hasn't smoked a day in their life gets it and ends up dying. I know that there's secondhand smoke but it's still unfair. I've learned to accept that life is anything but fair. You should come to terms with the same thing (Y/N)."
"Easier said than done." You said.
"Nothing is ever really easy if you think about it." He said. "But only one thing is easy for me. And that one thing is loving you."
You felt yourself blushing. Moments like these made you really sad that you and Mark couldn't be together. Maybe one day.
He put your hair behind your ear and kissed you on the lips. You, of course, kissed him back, wrapping your arms around his neck. He pulled you closer to him and kissed you more passionately and deeply.
"I really want to make this work." You said when the two of you stopped kissing in order to catch your breath.
"Me too, love." Mark said, placing a kiss on your cheek as the both of you sat up. "But, as soon as you're out of college, I'm going to come right back here and take you for myself."
"Can't we go long distance?" You begged, running your fingers through his black hair.
"It wouldn't work." He said. "Trust me. Long distance relationships cause pain to both the heart and mind."
"Previous experience, I'm guessing?" You asked.
"Yes." He said. "Besides, I can't hug and kiss you if we go long distance."
You put his face in your hands, smiled at him, and said, "How about we don't worry about the whole long distance relationship thing right now?"
"Okay." He agreed, smiling back at you. "By the way, would it be absolutely ridiculous if we just made out.....right now?"
You shook your head, still smiling at him. You still smiled as you brought his lips to yours. You felt all your worries fading away as you kissed him. You wished that you could spent the rest of your life just being with him but you knew that life was a bitch and was going to throw many obstacles in your path. But you planned to get over all of them. Because you knew that you were in love with a twenty-six year old man named Mark Edward Fischbach.