Chapter Ten: Welcome to the Boneyard

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Alright, so you can't understand the Outer Banks without understanding the Boneyard. It's kinda like a three-layer burrito. There's us, and our friends, the working class derelicts from the cut. Then, there are the Kooks, the rich second-homers. They're mostly from poncey-ass boarding schools, just rich trust fund posers. Our natural enemies. And then, there are the tourons. Totally clueless. Here for a week on vacation with their families. Chum for the sharks."

- John Booker Routledge

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Less than an hour later, the five teens arrive at the boneyard, with a keg in hand. JJ and John B carry it from the Twinkie, to the sand, Kiara and Abigail walking ahead of the two boys, arms linked, as Kiara holds the tap for the keg. As for Pope, he's leading the group down the beach, carrying the red solo cups.

They find a good spot to set the keg down, and set up shop. Kiara tosses the tap to JJ, who successfully hooks it up. He brings the nozzle up and squeezes it in John B's face, spraying the boy with beer. The five of them break out into a fit of laughter.

John B starts filling red solo cups with beer from the keg, handing them to his friends. First Kiara, and when he tries to hand it to Pope, he declines, shaking his head, so JJ takes it. John B fills the next cup, handing it to Abigail.

"Here you go, little red." He smiles, she rolls her eyes and takes the cup from the brunette boy.

And within the hour, the beach is filled with teenagers, red cups in hand. Everyone is drinking, laughing and having a good time.

The five Pogues stay close to the keg for the first few hours, John B still handing out drinks. They mingle with fellow Pogues, sitting on the large branches that litter the sands of the boneyard. Abigail sits with Pope, joking around with a few of their classmates, as something catches Abigail's eyes.