Chapter Fifty Five: Dog Pile

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Just talk to me."

- Pope Heyward

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

The gang splits up after leaving the Wreck. John B and Sarah get in the Twinkie, not saying what they were doing, while Pope and Abigail walk over to Heyward's to borrow his truck, Kiara staying behind at the restaurant to help out for a few hours.

Once they climbed into Heyward's pick up, Abigail asked Pope to stop by her house first. She hasn't been home since the morning after Midsummer's, and even then she snuck out without a word. She was definitely in deep shit with Gram now. It was the middle of the afternoon, which would hopefully mean that no one was home, and she could sneak in, grab some clothes, and cash, and then get out.

However, when Pope pulled up outside her house, her grandmother's car was parked out front. He turns back to her, his brows raised once he sees her suck in a breath. "You good?"

She nods, pushing the door open. "Yeah, thanks."

She turns back to Pope once she's standing outside the truck. "Just wait out here, I'm gonna grab some cash, and stuff. I'll be quick."

Pope nods, as she pushes the door closed. She turns towards her house, taking a deep breath.

Time to face the music.

She walks up the front porch steps, and turns the door handle, pushing it open. She steps into the house, closing the door behind her. It sounds quiet, not immediately seeing anyone in the living room or kitchen. But, seconds later, her grandmother appears from the hallway, a scoff immediately falling from her lips at the sight of her granddaughter.

"Well, look who decided to show up. I mean, it's been, what? Three days since you've been home?" She comments, crossing her arms.

Abigail sighs. "I know, I'm sorry."

"I'm getting real tired of hearing your empty apologies, Abigail." She tells her, walking further into the room. "If you were truly sorry, you wouldn't've snuck out after I told you you were grounded!"

Abigail swallows the lump in her throat, unsure what to say to the older woman. Because, she was right. Abigail knew she was wrong, but she's been so angry at her, at this whole thing going on between the two of them, that she didn't care.

"You're right." Abigail says, which surprises the woman. "I shouldn't have snuck out, and I am sorry. And I know it's no excuse, but...there's a lot going on right now, and I'm just trying to do the right thing here."

Her grandmother looks down at the floor, nodding. "Do the right thing by who though? Because you sure as hell aren't doing the right thing here, at home — or at work." Abigail closes her eyes. But, her grandmother isn't blind, she can see her granddaughter is upset over something, but her anger overshadows her concern. "You're disrespecting me and my wishes—"