Chapter Sixty: The Day That Everything Went to Shit

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"John B didn't do it for you?"

- Abigail Grace

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

The next morning, JJ wakes up to the sounds of the chickens squawking loudly from their hen house. He blinks his eyes open, a smile immediately crossing his face when his eyes land on the girl laying in his arms.

Abigail's still asleep, so he takes the time to just watch her. Her chest rises and falls slowly, her cheek is squished against his chest, which just makes him chuckle quietly to himself. Her face is littered with freckles, too many for him to count, but if he had forever, he would.

He wants to wake up like this everyday for the rest of his life. And he hopes that whatever god exists up there doesn't toss them a cruel curveball, and try to rip Abby away from him.

Because, he's not sure he can survive that.

And, yes, he knows it sounds dramatic. The teens have only truly been...hooking up — together? Doing whatever it is they're doing — for less than a week. But it's more than that. It's different when they've been friends for years. Because he already cared about Abby, more than he's ever cared about anyone else, before he even realized he had feelings for her. Before he knew she shared those feelings for him as well. Before they kissed.

Before all of that, JJ convinced himself that he was no good for her, that she deserved way better than him. That someone as amazing and beautiful as Abigail Grace could never, ever feel the same way about someone like him.

He told himself he was doing the right thing, by pushing his feelings away and just being her friend. He thought he was being selfless, by sacrificing his own potential happiness to make sure he didn't bring her down.

But, everything's different now. Because she doesn't care what he thinks of himself. She doesn't care about who his dad is or where he comes from. She never did. And for the first time in JJ's entire life, he's choosing to be selfish, and allow himself to have this one thing. This one, amazing, beautiful thing.

Her.

And now that he's had a taste of what life is like with a girl like Abigail, he's not sure he can ever go back to how it was. He never wants to lose her.

"What are you staring at, creep?" Her voice snaps him from his thoughts, his smile growing wider as he realizes she's awake. Her gray, sleepy eyes looking up at him.

"You, pretty girl." He says simply. He watches the corner of her lips twitch up to a smile, before she buries her face into his chest to hide her blush.

He pulls Abby's body on top of his, which makes her chuckle. She lifts her face up to his, leaning forward to plant a quick kiss on his lips. "Morning."