Chapter Eighteen: No Pogue on Pogue Macking

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Is there something going on between you two?"

- Pope Heyward

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Abigail ends up drifting off to sleep in JJ's arms, and after the day they've had, he didn't want to disturb her. Plus, he was happy to have a moment to himself, to unwind and settle down.

JJ looks down at the girl still in his arms, her chest rising and falling slowly.

He doesn't like seeing Abigail sad, or hurt, or scared. And in the last month, he's seen a combination of all three.

Besides today, he's only ever seen Abigail scared three times. The first time was last fall, after a rather brutal encounter with his dad, JJ showed up at Abigail's. He was pretty out of it, he doesn't even remember getting there, or much of what happened after she found him. He remembers how her hands were shaking, and how urgently she spoke to try and keep him awake. And the next morning, after JJ rested, he saw the fear in her eyes, just like he did today.

The other two times are just from the last few days. When she almost fell off the window awning, and when they got shot at in the marsh.

Abigail wasn't necessarily someone to show her emotions, the "negative" ones, anyway. She didn't like attention, or having anyone else worrying about her. Abigail was the type of person to take care of other people, she didn't like the fuss when the attention was pointed at her. Which is why she kept saying she was fine.

But it's different with JJ, and they both know it. He let her in when she learned about what happens with his dad, and he continued to be vulnerable with her, and only her, about the abuse he deals with at home. He always comes to her, and she has this magical way of making him feel better, physically, mentally and emotionally.

And, because of that, it's easy for Abigail to let her guard down with him. She finds comfort in him, and JJ desperately wants to do for her what she's done for him in the past. He doesn't realize how much he's truly done for her (although he'll find out soon enough).

Kiara dipped out on them Freshman year. Her parents forced her to transfer to the Kook academy, and she surprised everyone when she started spending less and less time with the Pogues, beginning what the Pogues refer to as her Kook year. Abigail was the last of the Pogues to stop reaching out to Kiara, because she's stubborn, and she was trying so hard to hold onto that friendship. But after a while, she let her go, and then it was just her and the boys.

Abigail doesn't know it, but her being there made it easier for the boys to deal with Kiara's absence. Because, she stuck around, and she kept the mood light whenever she felt it shifting. However, when she was alone, she would cry about it.

And when they lost Big John, John B fell apart and began spiraling. And with one less pogue to help pull him out of the funk, it was up to JJ, Pope and Abby.

In the Dark ~ j.m¹जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें