Chapter Twenty Two: Grace Altercation

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"You haven't given me much reason to trust you, lately." 

- Gram

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Abigail doesn't know what time she got home after leaving the Wreck, all she knew was that Gram and MJ were both asleep.

When she woke up the next morning, she heard lots of noise coming from the kitchen, which confuses her. She lifts up her alarm clock, forgetting that the power was still out. She groans, rolling out of bed. She peaks out the window, noticing the grayish colored clouds in the sky.

She strolls out of her bedroom, stretching her arms up as she walks towards the kitchen. Gram is washing dishes in the sink, she glances up quickly at her granddaughter, but returns her gaze to the dirty dishes, chuckling.

"Morning." Abigail greets her.

Silence.

Abigail furrows her brows again, watching Gram just continue scrubbing the sponge on the pan. "Everything...okay?" She asked.

Gram drops the pan, the noise making Abby jump slightly. The older woman, turns off the sink, setting her jaw. "No. No, everything is not okay." She tells her. "Wanna tell me what the hell happened yesterday?"

Abigail looks at her confused. "Um...I — I don't know what we're talking about here, Gram."

Her grandmother scoffs. "Wow..." she turns her back, the pan in her hands again so she can place it back on the stove. "So, you just forgot all about your shift yesterday, huh?"

Abigail's eyes widened.

Oh shit.

Abigail was meant to work the closing shift at the surf shop yesterday.

"Oh my god..." Abigail runs her hands over her face, then through her hair. She shakes her head. "Gram, I'm so so so sorry."

"Must've been doing something really important, so what was it?" Gram asked, leaning against the counter, hands on her hips.

Stealing a drone.

"I was...we were at the beach." Abigail lies. "Gram, I'm so sorry. We were surfing, none of us had our phones — I completely forgot, I'm so—"

"Save it, Abigail." Gram snapped. "You didn't even check in, and you definitely didn't come home at a reasonable hour...I don't know what's gotten into you."

Abigail remains silent, unsure what to say to make it better for herself right now.

Gram walks back over to the sink, grabbing the towel to dry the now clean dishes, but she pauses. "Is this about your mother?" Gram asks.