Chapter Fifty Six: Cats Ass

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Enough of this emotional shit, get in the Cat's Ass!"

- JJ Maybank

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Abigail ends up telling Pope everything once she manages to calm down. She tells him about all the fights between her and Gram, that led to her being kicked out this afternoon. She tells him about JJ 'ending things' with her, whatever this thing even was.

Pope just listens, because he's not used to being the person who comforts, or takes care of everyone. That title was always Abigail's. He wished he could do for her all that she's done for them, but he's awkward, and a boy, and says the wrong things. So he listens, lets her cry for as long as she needs, and when she's calmed down, he tells her, "I'm sorry."

When Pope starts the truck up again, she pulls out the cash she took from home. Pope tells her she doesn't have to pay, but she insists. They stop into a few stores, gathering everything they'll need to get the gold up quickly, and safely.

Once they finish their shopping, the two of them stop by the Wreck to pick up Kiara, the brunette girl immediately sensing her friends distress. So, Abigail tells her everything too.

It's the first time in a long time Abigail's shared this much about herself. She hates attention, even the good kind, and she doesn't like to talk about things that make her sad, so she avoids those conversations at all costs.

Kiara grabs the girls hand. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"We've been a little busy." Abigail defends, gesturing to the supplies in the bed of the truck.

"That doesn't mean you have to bottle up everything you're going through. No secrets, remember?" Kiara reminds her. "We're all friends, Abby, we have to be there for each other. You have to let us be there for you."

Abigail nods, squeezing her friends hand. "I'll work on it."

Kiara gives her a small smile. "And you haven't heard from JJ since?"