Chapter Sixty One: Searching for a Friend

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Why is it always about John B?"

- Pope Heyward

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

The four teens spent the remainder of their day searching for John B. They split up, Pope going with Kiara in his dad's truck, while JJ and Abigail took the Twinkie. They searched everywhere, finding no sign of him at any of their usual spots.

They eventually met back at the Chateau, trying to come up with a game plan. They realized there was probably only one place he could be, and it was the last place they checked.

Tannyhill.

"What now? We just go up to the front door and ask, 'Hey, have you seen John B?'" JJ says, as they stare at the large kook house in front of them.

It was Abigail's idea to check here, for multiple reasons. Sarah, being one of them. The fact that he took JJ's gun, meaning he was looking to get revenge. And, also, because he technically lives here.

But, Kiara wanted to actually knock on the front door.

"Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible. We could play dumb." She says, trying to reason with the boys that her plan was practical.

"Play dumb?" JJ scoffs. Abigail turns to the blonde, shaking her head, asking him not to start with Kiara.

"It's pretty late." Pope intervenes.

"Look, I've never seen John B like that." Kiara says, looking at Pope. "We should honestly be going to the cops."

Abigail shakes her head, rubbing her forehead. "The cops — yeah, and say what, Kie?" JJ asks. "We're worried about our friend 'cause he's going off on a rampage 'cause Ward Cameron killed Big John? Like, they're not gonna believe us!"

"Hey, I see Ward." Pope announces, holding up binoculars to his face.

Abigail steps forward. "Let me see." She asks, taking them from Pope and bringing them up to her eyes to see for herself. She sighs in relief when she spots Ward Cameron stepping out into his yard, knowing her best friend didn't kill anyone...yet.

"Doesn't look dead to me. Let's go home." Pope says, moving towards the steering wheel.

"Wait—"

"What?" Kiara asks, her face scrunched up, as she turns to Pope.

"Uh, okay, obviously Mr. Cameron is fine, and even if John B was here, he isn't now, okay? Plus, I have the biggest, most important moment of my life in six hours." Pope explains to his friends.

Abigail sighs again, remembering his interview. "Yeah, well, our friend is in trouble." Kiara retorts, looking for back up from Abby or JJ, but before either of them can speak, Pope continues.

In the Dark ~ j.m¹On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara