Chapter Forty Six: Chick Fight

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Look, love just walked in, okay?"

- John Booker Routledge

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

After leaving Crain's house, they headed back to the Chateau to strategize. Abigail and Kiara were laying on the couch on the screened porch, JJ and Pope sitting in chairs in the corner, while John B paced in front of them.

Without another word, John B walked out the door, and down the steps, not saying where he was going. No one questioned it, continuing with their side conversations.

Kiara excused herself to use the bathroom, walking inside the empty house. Abigail sits up on the couch, looking over at the boys, who are whispering to themselves. She furrows her brows. "What are you two talking about?"

"Huh? Nothing." JJ says quickly, too quickly.

"Convincing, Pope?" She says.

Pope just stutters, but he's thankfully saved by the sound of the screened porch door on the side opening. Both boys turn to face the door, unreadable expressions on their faces. Abigail watches them. "What are you..."

She trails off once she sees what they see. John B rounds the corner, but he's not alone. He's with Sarah freaking Cameron.

Abigail jumps up from the couch. "What the fuck is this?"

John B sighs, taking a seat on the arm of the couch. "Abby, don't start, please."

Sarah joins him on the couch, Abigail moves as far away as possible, standing near the boys. "Fine, so tell me what's happening then."

He sighs, and before he can utter a word, the door to the house is pushed open, Kiara stops short when she notices the extra person on the couch, her eyes flicker to Abigail's, before going to John B.

"No 'effing way!" Kiara exclaims, standing in front of the couch as Abigail leans on JJ's chair. "You brought her here — so what, she's in on this now?"

John B nervously turns to the boys, looking for help. Pope and JJ, of course, offer nothing. "I dunno." Pope mumbles, shrugging.

"Look, all I care about, is her cut comes out of your share." JJ says, pointing between Sarah and John B.

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote! This is our thing — a Pogue thing!" Kiara emphasizes. Sarah remains silent, Abigail watches her carefully.

"I gotta say I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this." Pope shares.

"Thank you!" Kiara says.

John B looks at the boy in confusion. "When are you not uncomfortable?"

"I don't know, I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably." Pope informs the brunette boy.