Chapter Three: Startling News

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"I'm so sorry for your loss."

- Susan Peterkin

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[two weeks ago]

Abigail closes the cash register and smiles brightly to the customer. She places the receipt in the bag before handing it over and wishing them well on their way out. She glances around the store, making sure there are no more customers before pulling out her phone. She scrolls through her group chat with the Pogues, reading over their plans for the day. Drinking on the HMS, and then drinking at the Chateau — the usual.

She's the only one who hasn't responded, but before she gets the chance, she hears her grandmother's footsteps coming from the back room. Abby slides her phone back in her pocket just as she appears in front of her, carrying a box of beaded bracelets.

"Should I pretend like I didn't just see you on your phone?" Maggie asked, with a teasing smile.

Abigail rolls her eyes, but gives her a playful smile. "Sorry, Gram."

Gram shakes her head, chuckling. "It's alright, sweetie. I know it's slow, and your bored. What are your friends up to today?"

"Fishing I think." She lied. "I might meet them later, if that's okay?"

"Of course, sweetie. Now, take these and go add them to that display case near the door." She orders. Abby smiles, and takes the box from her, she steps out from behind the counter when the phone rings. Abby turns to her grandmother, who reaches for the phone.

Abigail begins sorting through the different bracelets in the box, to place them in the correct spot, as the bell above the door sounds. Abigail glances up, ready to greet the customers. Her smile falls from her face instantly at the sight of Sheriff Peterkin and Officer Shoupe.

"Hi sheriff." She greets, her voice wavering slightly. "Can I help you with something?"

"Hi Abigail, we need to speak with you and your grandmother for a moment." Peterkin explains, a sad smile on her face.

Abigail spins around as her grandma hangs up the phone, immediately noticing the police officers standing in her store. She steps out from behind the counter, stopping to stand beside her granddaughter.

"Susan, Shoupe — what brings you in?" She smiles brightly at the officers, while Abby feels her chest tighten with anxiety.

"Maggie, I'm afraid this won't be a pleasant visit." Peterkin begins, Maggie's face falls slightly.

"Has something happened?" She asked.

"I'm afraid so, ma'am." Shoupe states.

"We got a call from Wilmington PD this morning about a possible home invasion. There was a woman home at the time of the suspected break in and she was murdered." The sheriff explained.