Chapter Forty Four: Something New

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"You're still dreaming, blondie."

- Abigail Grace

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

It truly has been the longest day of Abigail's life.

After Pope ran off to call for help, he returned several minutes later with the Twinkie, unable to get signal to call. So everyone helped lift John B into the van, and Pope drove them to the hospital.

The gang and Sarah waited silently, and anxiously, in the waiting room while they ran tests on John B. Kiara was pacing, while Pope, Abby and JJ sat and watched her, and Sarah was leaning against a wall. JJ was bouncing his knee aggressively, so Abigail placed her hand on his thigh to sooth him.

A nurse eventually came out to tell the group of teenagers that their friend had a concussion and a broken wrist, but he would make a full recovery. They were relieved, until the nurse mentioned paper work to be filled out by a parent or guardian. Kiara told the nurse that he was currently on his own, and the nurse said she would have to contact DCS.

JJ and Kiara started bickering after that, Abigail and Pope had to mediate and calm their friends down. Sarah had stepped in, telling the Pogues she would call her dad and handle it.

No one knew what that meant, but it was something about the way she said it, that made Abigail trust her. This by no means meant that the kook was forgiven for the things she's done, but Abigail knew if Ward Cameron was involved, Sarah would always get her way.

Visiting hours were way past over, and unfortunately the Pogues are not John B's actual family, as the nurse so rudely pointed out, so they left. Sarah hung back to wait for her dad. Pope dropped Kiara off first, before driving over to Abigail's.

When they pulled up to Abigail's, she's surprised when JJ gets out of the van with her. So is Pope.

"Wait, you're staying here?" 

JJ glances between Abigail and Pope. "Uh, yeah — no, I don't..." he clears his throat. "I don't know, but it's cool. Just go."

Pope looks to Abigail, who shrugs, pretending not to know what's happening, which isn't super hard because she is confused, and tired.

"Alright." Pope says, before he wishes them goodnight and drives off in the van.

JJ turns back to Abigail, who gives him a playful smile. "Real discreet, I'm sure Pope's not suspicious or anything."

He rolls his eyes. "Shut up."

The two teens creep up the side of the house, to Abby's window. Abigail pushes her window open, pausing to take her heels off and toss them inside before she climbs in. She pulls herself up, and enters her dark room.