Chapter Twelve: Plotting

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Still don't wanna run away?"

- JJ Maybank

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Abigail wakes up to the sound of the rooster calling from the yard of the Chateau. She flutters her eyes open, the sun coming in from the windows around the room.

She brings her hand up to rub her eyes, but freezes when she feels someone stir beside her. She opens her eyes completely now, as his grip around her waist tightens. Her eyes fall on the hand, immediately recognizing the rings.

JJ.

His arm was wrapped around her, and she felt his chest pressed against her back. Butterflies erupt inside her stomach, a small smile crossing her sleepy face.

She doesn't want to move, she wants to stay like this as long as possible.

But, she has to get up. She has to sneak back into her room before Gram and MJ realize she didn't come home last night.

So, Abigail slowly removes his arm from her waist. But JJ's not a heavy sleeper, so he stirs as she sits up on the bed. His eyes flutter open, a smile already on his face when he sees her.

"I could get used to this." He jokes, rubbing his eyes. She rolls her eyes, pushing his shoulder slightly. She gets up from the bed, grabbing her phone on the table. "What time is it?" He asks, as he looks out and sees the early morning sun.

She taps her phone screen, surprised its still charged. "6:30."

JJ groans from behind her. She turns around to face him. "Too early, come back." He pats the bed next to him, she chuckles.

"I can't, I gotta sneak back in before Gram realizes I didn't come home." She says, pulling off the shorts and reaching for her denim shorts from the night before, not caring that he's watching. The shirts long enough to cover everything, anyway.

"Damn, I really could get used to this." He repeats. She tosses the shorts she had on at his head, and he chuckles. He pushes the shorts aside, as she slides her sneakers on.

"Where's my bag?" She wonders aloud, looking around the room.

JJ watches her, as she searches around the room, a smile still on his lips. When she finally finds her bag, she pulls it over her shoulder and looks over at him. Her eyebrows furrow.

Why is he smiling so much? It's 6:30.

"Why are you smiling like that?" She asks.

"Just enjoying the view." He jokes, sitting up. "Wanna ride?"

Her eyebrows raise again. "It's 6:30, aren't you going back to sleep?"

"Nah, I'm up now." He says, standing from the pullout. He walks into John B's room, leaving her alone in the living room.