Chapter Sixty Nine: Paternal Altercations

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"You can't hide behind this bitch forever!"

- Luke Maybank

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[Winter 2020]

"So, what do we need, exactly?" JJ asked, as he pushes the door open, the bell above the door chiming. The blonde steps aside, allowing Abigail to walk in before he releases the door.

The girl shrugs, grabbing a basket. "I don't know, JB said get flu essentials, but I don't really know what that means." JJ follows behind her as they walk through the small store. "I'm assuming, like, soup."

"I hate soup." JJ mumbles.

Abigail furrows her brows, glancing behind her as they walk towards the isle. "Well, it's a good thing you're not the one whose sick."

"Do you think I'm gonna catch it?" He asks, whining.

She rolls her eyes, finally turning down the canned food isle. "I hope not, you'll be super annoying about it."

JJ scoffs, which makes her giggle. "What makes you say that?"

She turns around to face him. "'Cause you're being annoying about it right now." She chuckles.

JJ rolls his eyes, fighting the smile growing on his face as he looks down at her. "Lets just get Bree his soup."

Abby smiles, turning back around. JJ takes the basket from her, as she reaches for the soup cans. "Chicken noodle?"

JJ nods, so she grabs a few cans and starts placing them in the basket, he raises his brows. "How many cans of soup do we need?"

Abigail shrugs. "I dunno, that boys always eating. He's like a garbage disposal — plus, you live there, too, so."

"Well, I don't like chicken noodle." JJ tells her.

The red head lifts her head to face him, brows knitted together. "You literally just said you hate soup."

"I do, but, if I have to eat it, I want tomato." He says.

Abigail rolls her eyes. "Fine. I'll throw in a few tomato." She turns back to the shelf. "You're the most ridiculous human being on the planet."

JJ smiles. "You love it."

She snaps her head to his, suppressing a smile. She takes the basket from his hands. "Go find some orange juice."

His smile widens. "Yes, ma'am."

"Ma'am? No, ew." She mumbles, as he walks away.

The girl shakes her head, grabbing a few more cans of soup, before walking to the end of the isle. She grabs a box of crackers, and cheez-it's, before exiting the isle.