Chapter Seventy One: The Hardest Goodbye

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

 "I'm sorry for basically...throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunting thing."

- John Booker Routledge

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

When the Pogues arrived at the dock, JJ gently slid Abby off his lap, instructing her to stay in the car. The two boys managed to tie the boat up and get everything ready, while Kiara stayed with Abigail to make sure she didn't fall asleep.

Abigail was now holding the bandana to her head. She pulled it away, scrunching up her face. "Is it still bleeding?"

Kiara leans forward, inspecting the wound. "Not really, I don't think it's too deep." She tells her. Abigail nods, placing her head on the seat, but then she suddenly shoots back up. "What is it?" Kiara asked.

Abigail feels her stomach turning. "I think I'm gonna be sick."

Kiara quickly grabs Abby's arms, guiding the girl out of her seat. The girls make it four steps before the bile rises in Abigail's throat. She hunches over, emptying her stomach onto the grass. Kiara pulls her hair back, but looks away, her other hand rubbing her back.

JJ and Pope turn to look at both girls. JJ leans over the railing. "Abs, you good? Is she good?" Kiara nods, but neither girl answer him, as she guides Abigail to stand up straight.

"That's definitely a concussion." Pope sighs.

"Dude, where is he?" Kiara exclaims, walking with Abigail over to the boat, as she looks around anxiously.

"Give him a second. He'll be here." Pope nods, reassuring the girls and himself.

"He's coming. It'll be fine." JJ says, tossing a sheet to the floor.

JJ locks eyes with Abigail, nodding to silently ask if she's okay. She manages to give him a small nod, as the sirens in the distance grow closer.

Pope, Abby and Kiara turn their heads as a police truck turns onto the grass.

"JJ!" Kiara exclaims, as the cop car stops, she squeezes Abby's arms.

"Hey, yeah, get back on the boat. Get back on the boat." JJ instructs, pointing at Pope. "Untie it."

"Shit..." Abigail mumbles, as the two girls go to take a step, they snap their heads up when they hear the car door close.

They're surprised when they see the fluffy haired brunette boy exit the vehicle instead of a cop.

"Wait..." Abigail furrows her brows.

I know I'm concussed, but what's happening here?

"No way." JJ says in disbelief.