Chapter Fifty Eight: Dr. Pretty Girl

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"I'm okay 'cause of you."

- JJ Maybank

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[Thanksgiving 2019]

JJ sighs as Abigail storms out of the bathroom, standing up to follow her, before his gaze lands on the trash can. He leans down, recognizing the sweater on top. He pulls it out, his eyes landing on the multiple red-stained washcloths and gloves.

"JJ! JJ!"

"Hey — you gotta stay with me..."

"I'm tired, Abs..." He mumbles to her.

JJ can see the panic in her eyes.

"I know, I know, but you gotta stay awake for me, please." She begs, grasping his chin to make him lock his eyes on hers. "I-I can't do this if you pass out on me, okay? I need you awake..."

JJ can hear the desperation in her voice.

"Just look at me, okay? Just keep looking at me..."

JJ remembers it all perfectly now, finally putting the pieces together of everything that happened the night before. He looks at the sweater, seeing a small patch of blood staining it.

His blood.

He follows her out of the bathroom. "Abs..." he finds her leaning on the bed, her arms crossed. "Are you okay?" She lifts her gaze to his. He gets his answer once he looks at her eyes.

No, she's not.

Her heart is beating really fast, and she still doesn't understand why, because he's awake, he's talking and moving around. That's what she needed all night, but it still isn't enough. She still feels panicked.

"Are you?" She says, pushing off the bed, the two teens now facing each other. "'Cause you're acting like everything's fine and — and it's not."

"I...what's not fine?" He asks, shaking his head. "Okay, yeah, I'm a little banged up, but I'm fine — I'm gonna be fine, Abby. I always am." He shrugs.

She shakes her head, stepping closer to him. "But, it's not — it's not fine, JJ! You didn't see you!"

JJ doesn't say a word, looking into her glassy, gray eyes.

"When I got home, and I found you, you looked..." she trails off, placing a hand to her chest. "you looked dead, J." She whispers, shaking her head, feeling the tears burning in her eyes. JJ's face softens in realization. "You...you were passed out, and-and pale and bleeding and — god, I was scared — I was so fucking scared for you."

She's crying now, and JJ has no idea what to do. He's only ever seen her cry a few times. Abigail wasn't the type to get emotional in front of others, so when she did, it left everyone shocked.