Chapter Eleven: Late Nights

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"It's my dad."

- JJ Maybank

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

The ride back to the Chateau is quiet, no one speaks or even makes a single sound.

And when Pope parks the Twinkie at John B's, everyone is still quiet as the boys pull him out of the van, and into the house.

The girls don't follow the boys into John B's room, Abigail instead turning to Kiara, who practically has steam coming out of her ears.

The boys enter the living room, Abigail looks between both boys. JJ looks like a cornered animal, and Pope looks just as angry as Kiara.

Kiara goes to speak, or yell, but Abigail puts her hands up, interrupting the girl. "Don't."

"Don't what?" Kiara snaps, furrowing her brows.

"We're not doing this right now." Abigail says simply. "It's been a long day, and I think we should just drop this."

"Drop it? Abby—" Kiara goes to continue.

"I don't care!" Abigail exclaims, shocking everyone. "Let's just all walk away before we say something we regret."

The Chateau falls silent once again, everyone staring at the small girl.

Pope sighs. "Look, she's right. Let's just all cool off. I gotta get home anyway."

Kiara bits her lip. "Fine." She sighs, as Pope makes his way back towards the door, grabbing the keys to the HMS. Kiara goes to follow him, but turns around to face JJ and Abigail. "Either of you coming with?"

"No." JJ mumbles, walking into the kitchen, Abigail's eyes follow him.

"Abby?" Kiara asks, snapping her back to reality.

"No, I'm cool."

"You sure?"

Abigail nods, so the two teens walk out of the Chateau, leaving JJ and Abby alone.