Chapter Seven: Diver Down

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Guys...I think there's a boat down there."

- Pope Heyward

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

The five teenagers continued through the marsh, drinking, laughing and enjoying the summer sun. Pope was steering, since he was the only one not drinking, John B standing beside him, leaning against the railing. Kiara and Abigail remained at the front of the boat, now in their bathing suits. JJ stood in front of the girls, shirtless.

"Let me show y'all a party trick!" JJ says, stepping up onto the bow of the boat, between the two girls, beer in hand.

"Terrifying." Kiara mumbles, rolling her eyes.

"Hey, Pope, can you go a little faster, please?" JJ requests, turning back to the boy driving the boat.

"Oh god, here we go. I'm moving." John B says, moving behind Pope. "It doesn't work, we've tried this like 6,000 times."

"I got this, it's gonna work!"

"Famous last words." Abigail tells them, as JJ tips his head back, holding the beer bottle at a distance from his face.

Beer did in fact leak from the bottle, towards his face, but the wind blew the beer back behind JJ.

"Oh my god, you're getting beer in my hair!" Kiara exclaims.

"Ew, okay—" Abigail says, covering her face.

"Oh my god...Alright! Alright!" Pope calls out, shielding his face as well.

"Alright, you're done. Stop!" John B calls out after Pope.

"JJ!" Pope shouts.

The boat suddenly comes to a strong halt in the water, sending everyone tumbling around, and sending JJ into a backflip, landing in the water. Abigail is launched forward, tumbling to the floor of the boat, John B practically falling on top of her.

"Ow! Oh god..." Abigail exclaims, immediately trying to push the boy off of her.

"Jesus, Pope!" Kiara complains, sitting up.