Chapter Seventy Two: The Beginning of the End...or is it?

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"We, uh...we lost them."

- Victor Shoupe

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Plumb led Abigail to a smaller tent, which they were using to store food, water and supplies for everyone working. Turns out Shoupe wasn't ignoring Kiara in the car, he had an ambulance waiting here for them.

Plumb stood a few feet away, arms crossed and staring at the girl judgmentally, as the paramedic tended to the wound on her head.

A few moments later, Shoupe walks into the tent, so Plumb steps out.

"How is she?" Shoupe asked the paramedic.

"She has a minor concussion, I'm stitching up the wound now." The paramedic informs him, as she places the butterfly bandage over her cut.

"How'd it happen, Abigail?" The officer asked.

Abigail turns her head slowly to face the officer. "You're not supposed to question a minor without adult supervision."

"I'm not interrogating you, Abigail, I'm asking you what happened to your head."

"Rafe Cameron happened." She snaps. "But, I'm sure you won't believe that, since you don't believe John B is innocent, so, it doesn't really matter what happened. Because it doesn't fit your beliefs."

Shoupe stares at the girl in shock, as the paramedic, steps away from the teenager. "She's all good. I gave her some medication for the pain, but you should still see a doctor and get looked at properly." Abigail nods, thanking the woman as she exits the tent.

"What makes you so sure your friend is innocent?" The officer asked.

Abigail scoffs, standing from her seat, pleased when she doesn't feel a wave of dizziness. "What makes you so sure he's guilty? You're getting all your information from one eye witness, when Ward wasn't the only person on the tarmac. Maybe if you'd done your job the first time, all this would've been sorted already."

"Watch it, Miss Grace." He snaps.

"Just because he's a pogue, with no one looking out for him, doesn't immediately make him capable of murder." Abigail tells the older man.

"Then why is he running?"

"'Cause you've all decided that he's guilty based off of one person's statement, and that's Ward Cameron. That man has a hand in everything that happens on this island, you and I both know that. How does someone like John B stand a chance against him?" Abigail bites her lip, stepping closer to the man.

"Maybe you should ask yourself why he's so dead set on keeping his daughter locked away, instead of allowing her to give a formal statement." Shoupe's expression changes at the mention of Sarah Cameron. "She was on the tarmac, Shoupe. We saw her get on the plane with Ward. He's lying." Abigail tells him.