Chapter Twenty Seven: The Ex-Boyfriend Chronicles

**trigger warning**

this chapter discusses domestic abuse. if you are someone who has or is currently struggling with this, or something similar, please read this chapter at your own discretion. please reach out to someone for help. 

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"You expect me to believe he stayed the night and you didn't fuck him?"

- Aaron Riley

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[July 2019 — Last Summer]

Abigail was sitting in her room, alone, drawing in her sketchbook. Her phone was vibrating beside her, but she was ignoring it. The calls, the texts, were all from her boyfriend, Aaron, and she wasn't in the mood to deal with him tonight.

They'd gotten into another fight, and she truly just didn't have the energy to defend herself anymore. He hit her, again. Now she has another bruise on her jaw.

Abigail was scared.

Some small, twisted part of her thinks she might deserve this, but she's scared, and she doesn't know how to get out of the situation. She's tried distancing herself from him, even tried breaking up with him, but nothing seems to work.

Kooks like Aaron don't take rejection well.

She hears knocking on her window, and she jumps, her eyes snapping over to the window. She pulls the curtain aside, and her eyes widen when she sees who it is.

JJ.

She's quick to unlock her window and push it open for him. He climbs through her window, as she rushes over to her door to make sure it's locked.

"What happened?" She asked quietly, walking back over to him, her eyes immediately begin scanning him for injuries. She sees the black eye, and the scratch marks on his neck, and the bruise on the side of his jaw. Her hand flies to her chest. "God, JJ..."

"I'm fine." He tells her.

"You don't look fine." She shakes her head.

"It looks worse than it is. I just...I had to get out of there." He confesses, his voice cracking.

She steps forward, hugging the boy tightly. He wraps his arms around her, but he doesn't cry. He feels the tightness in his chest disappear and his body relaxes in her arms, releasing a breath of relief.