The Epilogue

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must also be present." 

— Francis Bacon

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"We're coming to you live with an update on the police hunt for local teen, John Booker Routledge, whose wanted for murdering Kildare's very own Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The sixteen-year-old reportedly shot the Sheriff and has been on the run for over 72 hours. We're being told now that he attempted to flee the island on a boat, after kidnapping his girlfriend, Sarah Cameron. No word on how the Routledge boy obtained the boat, the Sheriffs department speculates that the suspects friends were assisting his escape. Routledge and the hostage fled on this boat in the middle of this storm, and police on the water say they lost sight of the boat. No further information has been given if the boat managed to reach international waters, or if tragedy will continue to plague this island with more unnecessary loss—"

The sound on the television cuts out suddenly, the remote pointed at the screen, finger hovering over the mute button.

There's a man on a couch, in his dimly lit living room, the only light coming from street lights outside his window, the lantern on the end table, and the television in front of him, still playing the news of the "tragedy" taking place on Kildare Island.

A sigh falls from his lips, as he leans forward to open his laptop. He clicks around different folders on the desktop. He stares at a photo when it loads, debating with himself on whether the time was right.

He's been plotting this for what feels like a lifetime, years of making sure to be careful. Stay hidden, stay quiet, stay off everyones radar. He's spent the last four years searching for the Royal Merchant gold, only for a group of teenagers to beat him to the treasure. It angers him, but not more than the thought that Ward Cameron, someone he despises, ended up with the gold.

Now, the gold was gone, but his need for revenge is there, stronger now that the treasure is out of his reach. His desire to wrong those who wronged him has been strong these last few weeks.

But, unfortunately for the man, his plan for revenge needed to be put on pause, for the moment. Because, although he was careful these last four years, he wasn't careful enough. Someone caught on to what he was up to, and this person had proof.

He thought he took care of it, removing this obstacle — this person — from the picture, so he could go for the gold and leave North Carolina, and his past, behind him. But, he couldn't do that, not until he found the proof himself, and destroyed it. This evidence could destroy his entire life, and everything he's worked for, and he was so close to the finish line, he could taste it.

Nothing was going to stand in his way.

He was disappointed with himself, really. He allowed himself to be manipulated, distracted by someone he didn't see as a threat. Someone he kept close to him, someone he made a deal with. Another person whose betrayed him.

First it was Ward Cameron and Brian Grace. Then, it was Amanda Grace.

They all wronged him, so he took care of them...or so he thought.

But now, he needs to find the evidence of his crimes, or his life is over. The only person who knows where it is, unfortunately, is now dead.

There's only one way for him to get what he wants, nothing and no one is going to stand in his way.

And, unfortunately for Abigail Grace, she's in his way. So, she will have to suffer the consequences.

--------

oop. what is happening now?!?!?

stay tuned for more :)