Chapter Fourteen: Lies of Denial

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Denial's underrated, you should try it sometime. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong."

- John Booker Routledge

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

"I'm just saying, like I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara — she clearly likes you." JJ begins, before mimicking their brunette friend. "She's like 'Oh John B!'"

"Is that what she does?" John B asked, playing along.

John B and JJ were currently driving in the Twinkie, just the two of them. Abigail, Kiara and Pope were all working. John B decided he wanted to go speak with Miss Lana about the compass, and JJ was the only one at the Chateau.

"She's sketching about you diving, then she kissed you, bro." JJ tells the brunette boy.

"She kissed me on the cheek." John B corrects his friend. "It's not like we were making out or something."

"Low hanging fruit, bro. Don't pretend that you don't notice. I see it in your eyes. You're like 'I kinda like it', and you start blushing and shit." JJ continues, ignoring the boy.

"Oh, I blush?" John B says, challenging the boy.

"Yeah."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"I wouldn't go there, if I were you." John B began, smile on his face. JJ turns to face him. "You were blushing hard on the boat with Abby the other day."

"Dude, don't even—" JJ sighs.

"I don't know why you won't just admit you like her!" John B says. "You clearly have a thing for her, you two are always together—"

JJ shakes his head. "It's not like that, dude, we're friends."

"You flirt with all your friends 24/7? Not to mention you call her pretty girl every chance you get." John B says, turning the van.

JJ remains silent, trying to figure out how to change the subject.

"Your silence is actually saying way more than you think it is." John B jokes.

"Dude, it doesn't matter. It would never happen." JJ admits.

John B's smile grows. "So, you admit you've thought about it?"

"'Course I've thought about it, man. Are you kidding? Have you seen her?" JJ says, his head turning to look out the window. "She's perfect."

John B smiles. "So, do something about it. I'm like 99% sure she's into you, too." He tells the blonde, whose head snaps in his direction.