Chapter Sixty Six: Escape Plan

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Any shot she rats out Rafe?"

- John Booker Routledge

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

So, talking to the cops didn't go as planned. Turns out, Ward Sneaky-Ass Cameron framed John B for shooting Peterkin. So, when the brunette walked into the station, he was immediately targeted.

No one knew what to do, or where to go. The Chateau was their safe place, but they can't go there with the cops after John B. So, they spent the night in Kiara's truck.

Kiara drove until she was sure no one followed them, parking her truck under a carport that was attached to an old, abandoned shed somewhere in the Cut.

Abigail switched seats with Pope, so the three boys weren't squished in the trunk all night. They pushed the middle row down, so John B would stay hidden and they could actually lay where they can fit. Abigail laid between the two boys, JJ's arm around her the whole night.

They didn't sleep much, the sounds of sirens keeping them all on edge. Collectively, they probably got about two hours. Abigail managed to drift off about 20 minutes ago, JJ's fingers tracing circles on her arm. But the sound of more sirens made the blonde jump, which startled the girl.

He mumbles an apology, kissing her forehead, as she rubs her eyes.

"Good news for residents of the Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area, should be functional within 24 hours." Abigail hears from the radio, looking up at JJ, who has a blunt in his mouth.

"And still no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin." The man on the radio continues. "The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—"

Thankfully, Kiara came to her senses and turned the radio off. Abigail turns to John B, as he sighs. She grabs his hand, giving it a squeeze.

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all." JJ says, bringing his free arm up behind his head, while the other stays around Abigail. "Who are the cops going to believe, Ward Cameron, or us? So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused...is John B, who is...pretty much a homeless 16 year old boy at the moment." Abigail quickly slaps his chest.

"Thanks." John B mumbles.

"Shit." Pope curses, rubbing his head.

Neither of the girls, or Pope, speak up. So JJ continues. "Okay, man. Yucatan, alright?" Abigail rolls her eyes. "I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?"