Chapter Forty Nine: Confessions of a Pogue

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Are you still worried about...making it weird?"

- JJ Maybank

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

The rest of the day is spent preparing for their mission tonight. Sarah and Kiara sneak home to get dark clothing to wear for themselves, and Abigail, while Pope and John B go off to get supplies. Abigail and JJ remain at the Chateau, changing all the batteries in the flashlights to make sure they work for tonight, Abby sharing with the blonde boy what happened on the boat last night.

"So, did you guys, like, actually make up, or..." JJ asked, lifting his head up to look over at her.

She nods. "Yeah, we did. It feels better, now that I know what actually happened."

JJ nods. "Good, good."

They fall silent again for one whole minute.

"So, did you talk about me?" He asked, smiling.

Abigail lifts her head up, shooting him a look. "Seriously?"

"What? I'm just curious. You three were out there all night, just wanna know what you were talking about. That's all." He says, shrugging.

"Definitely not you." She lies, biting her lip to keep from smiling.

He looks up at her again, his jaw dropping. "Oh, you totally did."

"JJ!"

"What'd you say?" He asked, excitedly.

"Stop!" She chuckles, as he steps around the table to stand next to her.

"I knew it."

She smacks her lips together, as she looks up at him. Then, suddenly, she gets an idea. "Like you didn't talk about me last night with the boys."

JJ immediately shakes his head. "Nope, no, we didn't. You didn't come up once."

She nods, crossing her arms. "Wow, you're lying right to my face."

"I am not." He defends.

"Oh, I know you are. You couldn't even wait five seconds before telling John B we kissed, you definitely talked about me last night." She says, crossing her arms.

JJ sighs. "I'm gonna kill John B."

"Why? I think it's cute that you've 'had a thing for me' for years." Abigail says, using air quotes.

JJ looks down at her. "Yeah?"

"Yeah..." She nods, as JJ leans down and kisses her quickly. "It was mutual, you know." 

"Yeah, Pope mentioned that." He teases, smiling.

Her smile falls for a second, before she recovers, sending him her own teasing smile. "So, you admit to talking about me last night then, huh?"