Chapter Twenty Three: Heyward's Bitches

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Abby, I promise, I won't say anything."

- Pope Heyward

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

"You kids get these groceries over to Figure Eight. Get straight back here when you're done. No fishin'." Heyward orders the three teens on his boat, as he hands Pope a few bags of groceries. He turns back around to grab more bags. "I promised delivery by this afternoon. Rich folks don't wanna wait for you lazy sons a..." Heyward turns back to the boat, met by JJ with his arms extended, ready to take the bags. "Oh, JJ, thank you...sons of bitches."

"Right." Pope nods to his father, as Abby chuckles.

"Miss Grace, you keep these boys in check, you got it?" Heyward says, pointing to the young girl on the boat.

She nods and smiles. "Don't worry, Heyward, they'll behave."

"They better." Heyward pushes off the boat, signaling them to leave. Pope moves to the steering wheel, pulling the boat away from the dock.

JJ perches himself on the counter, next to the steering wheel, Abigail jumps up next to him, as Pope steers them down to Figure Eight.

JJ plays around with a knife, twisting it around in his hands, Abigail watches with raised brows.

"You're gonna end up hurting yourself, or me, with that thing." She says, a playful smile on her lips.

JJ scoffs. "So, you have no faith in me? Is that what I'm hearing right now?"

Abigail chuckles. "You're tossing a knife around, so actually no, I don't."

"Wow...you hear this Pope?"

"Oh I hear it, and I one hundred precent agree with Abby." Pope says, keeping his eyes on the water, but smiles.

JJ's jaw drops. "Wow." He looks over to Abby, continuing to fiddle the knife in his hands. She chuckles.