Chapter Sixty Eight: Unpleasant Parents

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Screw this."

- Abigail Grace

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

The three Pogues went back inside the Wreck to tidy up and gather food and supplies for John B. They were filling a box with food and water, as they listened to Kiara tell them what went down between her and Pope when they tried to spring Sarah from her home.

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asks.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation." Kiara tells him.

"Is that gonna be enough food for them?" Abigail wonders aloud.

"I mean, for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so..." JJ tells her, nodding. Abigail nods.

"Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings." Kiara tells the two of them.

"I wouldn't worry about it right now, Kie. You two can talk about it once this is over. Its Pope, he can't stay mad forever." Abigail reassures her, as they walk towards the door.

"Yeah, don't beat yourself up too much." JJ says, agreeing with Abby, as she holds the door open for them. "He's completely changed his feels. The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde."

The teens step down onto the ground, walking over to Kiara's car, to load up the food. "I hate to admit it, but I miss the old Pope. At least I knew what to expect from him." Kiara tells them.

"Where you been?"

Abigail, JJ and Kiara freeze in their spots at the sound of Mrs. Carerra's voice. JJ and Abigail share a look, as Kiara stutters. "Uh — I'm fine. I slept here." She replies to her mother, as JJ pushes the box into the trunk.

"Well, we were up half the night, scared to death, looking for you. Were you even gonna tell us?" Anna Carerra retorts, hands on her hips, as she looks up at her daughter.

"Well, I'm telling you right now." Kiara mumbles.

"Alright, what the hell are you three up to?" Her mother asks, glancing at the other two teens, taking a step forward.

"I'm sorry, Miss Anna, we just gotta go." JJ tells her, grabbing Abigail's wrist.

"I'm sorry." Abby tells the older woman, as JJ pulls her to the passenger side of the car.

"No, I'm sorry. Absolutely not—" They hear Anna say to her daughter.

"Get in the car." JJ mumbles to Abby, opening the back door for her to climb inside, so they could make a quick exit.

"Honey, have you seen the storm that's coming in?" Anna continues to argue with her daughter, as JJ and Kiara climb into the car. "This is not safe for you to do!"