Chapter Fifty: Well Under Way

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Let's throw a rock at it!"

- John Booker Routledge

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

"Okay, you guys got rope?" John B asks from the front seat, quickly glancing back to his friends.

The six teenagers were now on their way to the Crain House, John B going over the list of supplies to make sure they didn't forget anything.

"Got it." Abigail calls out.

"Grappling hook?" The brunette boy driving the van asked.

Pope furrows his brows from the passenger seat and turns to look at John B. "We don't have a grappling hook. We're not Batman." He reminds him, causing the girls to chuckle.

"Pulley?" John B asked, ignoring his friend, as they turned down Crain's street.

"Check." Kiara tells him.

"Dark clothes?"

All the teens glance at each other, before Sarah responds. "Got it."

"Flashlights?"

"Check." JJ says, saluting the brunette boy. Abigail shakes her head at him, as the Twinkie rolls to a stop out front of the creepy house.

"Alright, good. We're ready." John B announces.

"Let's go." Kiara says, smiling.

"Let's go get rich, guys." JJ says, lifting the rope up, and pulling it onto his shoulders to carry.

"Yeah, hell yeah. Let's go boys — and girls." Kiara says, making Sarah chuckle, as John B makes his way over to the other side of the van, pulling the sliding door open for them.

"Let's get to it." Pope says, beginning to move from the passenger seat, into the back of the van.

"Wait, wait." John B says, halting his friends. "I wanna say thank you guys, seriously." He begins, taking the time to look each of his friends in the eye, as he speaks. "It means a lot to me that you're here tonight."

Kiara smiles at John B. "Always."

"Of course, man." Pope mumbles, before the two boys begin doing the pogue handshake.

"My man."

"I mean, I had nothing better to do..." Abigail jokes, a playful smile on her face as John B locks eyes with her. He shakes his head at her, smiling, before he turns to Sarah.

The two hold each other's gaze, until JJ interrupts their moment. "Alright? Are we done with this circle jerk? Can we go do this?"

Abigail rolls her eyes, as Kiara responds. "Yeah." The three girls exit the van one by one.